Unsafe french doors?

ChrisR

Hi everyone,

Almost ready to exchange on a flat and today a builder pointed out the whole of the back of the building may fall down! It appears there isn't a lintel in place from when the French sliding doors were installed in the downstairs flat. The flats have been owned by the same person, and he has already sold downstairs. He also owns and is looking to sell the freehold. We'd be buying the first floor. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions? We had a building survey done and they didn't say anything about it, but I'm wondering if they've missed something? I've written to them so will find out the surveyors opinion on Monday I assume. In the meantime if anyone can put my mind at rest?

Thanks

Sirdar Road back of kitchen.jpg

The french door width is about 2m which is beyond what even the most the dodgy of cowboy builders should chance without a lintel. Metal lintels are not expensive, about 1/4 of the daily labour rate of a brickie.

I wonder if there is some fancy concealed lintel behind the two brick arches. Is that a cavity wall or an older two brick thick solid wall?

• 3 months later...

What was the outcome of this?  Looking at the pic there's two distinct. Diagonal lines that have been pointed up separately, even going into the soldier arch on the left. Did you buy it?