What was/is your most pressing design problem during your build?

Hi everyone,

I have asked a question on this forum before but for transparency, I'd just like to begin by explaining that I am not building my own home. I run an interior design business and my clients are mostly self-builders. In this topic, I hope to learn more about the issues faced once the plaster is up on the walls and it's time to think about designing the inside of your new home.

As the title suggests, I'd really appreciate it if you could share your most pressing problems when designing and finishing your home.

Did you struggle with having a smaller than anticipated budget left for furniture, fixtures and equipment?

Did you worry about making expensive design mistakes?

Did you struggle to put a cohesive scheme together? Perhaps it was difficult choosing colours or understanding your personal style?

Perhaps you had never worked with an interior designer before and didn't know what to expect or how to choose a designer?

It's really important to me to understand what the common concerns are as this helps me provide a better service.

Thanks so much in advance and I hope you are all having a good weekend!

Harman

30 minutes ago, H Kaur said:

I hope to learn more about the issues faced once the plaster is up on the walls and it's time to think about designing the inside of your new home.

Once the plasters on the walls its too late to worry about design issues. The design needs to be agreed with the client before the build starts. Plan things like service runs, location of plant room, levels of insulation, the use of modern technology to heat water and space heating, solar PV, light and shade etc. MHVR, ASHP. Fabric First .... The list goes on.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Once the plasters on the walls its too late to worry about design issues. The design needs to be agreed with the client before the build starts. Plan things like service runs, location of plant room, levels of insulation, the use of modern technology to heat water and space heating, solar PV, light and shade etc. MHVR, ASHP. Fabric First .... The list goes on.

Hi there,

Apologies, perhaps I should have been clearer in explaining that I am hoping to learn about problems with internal finishes and interior design specifically (perhaps stretching to lighting and electrics which you are right in saying needs to be agreed before the plaster goes up). Thanks so much for your response!

• Like 1

The only consideration we had to make was window treatments with tilt and turn windows. We put in extra timber under the plasterboard in case we wanted curtain poles but ended up with blinds on most of the sashes.  As was previously said this sort of thing needs to be thought about earlier especially if you want something like roller blinds concealed above the reveals. I think tilt and turn windows often pose problems.

• Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 16:05, PeterStarck said:

The only consideration we had to make was window treatments with tilt and turn windows. We put in extra timber under the plasterboard in case we wanted curtain poles but ended up with blinds on most of the sashes.  As was previously said this sort of thing needs to be thought about earlier especially if you want something like roller blinds concealed above the reveals. I think tilt and turn windows often pose problems.

Hi Peter,

That's quite a tricky design decision and there are limited options with tilt and turn windows. Thanks so much for your response!

On 28/11/2020 at 17:50, Temp said:

The biggest problem is running out of energy... just paint it all magnolia and we'll worry about it later.

Haha I hope you managed to go back and repaint (unless you like magnolia of course!). Thanks for the response!

• Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 17:50, Temp said:

The biggest problem is running out of energy... just paint it all magnolia and we'll worry about it later.

I always think with a new build it’s better to live in it with your magnolia or white in our case until you get a feel for it, you’ve probably already made the decisions on flooring etc so you have a starting point to work from.

• Like 1

Just now, recoveringbuilder said:

I always think with a new build it’s better to live in it with your magnolia or white in our case until you get a feel for it, you’ve probably already made the decisions on flooring etc so you have a starting point to work from.

+1 on this. 

It's surprising how many things that looked good in renders and mock ups at the start of the project looked wrong when standing in the room. 

• Like 2

Not quite OT, but close enough. I had a recommended interior designer to redesign (not renovate, though a periodic decorating cycle was subsumed in the project) a big student house last year.

The most challenging aspect probably was to negotiate changes to a more comprehensive proposal than I was after, to something rather more modest in budget terms. But to do it in a way that put the budget where I was happy with it, but still gave the ID a project that had enough meat on it to be satisfying professionally and did not unduly affect the proposed look. Suspect that always happens and IDs always expect a few "buts and cuts", just as architects do because they deliberately stretch it to show where they see potential.

In the event we rescoped and renegotiated slightly to reduce the budget by about 30%, which worked for both sides.

Ferdinand

• Like 2

I’ve just been reminded by my interior designer, (wife) she had the kitchen/family room, dining room and bathrooms designed, layout, colours, tiles, worktops and flooring, before we met with the architect. The house was essentially designed around these features. We’re at the plaster stage now and colour charts and wall paper samples keep appearing. She tells me, only a bloke would point a house in one colour!

Harman, I’m sorry your struggling to get an answer to you original question. If only you’d asked about thermal mass, air source heat pumps or under floor heating! It’s a bloke thing, sorry......

Edited by Triassic
  • Like 2

Good Interior design can make a mediocre home look amazing.   There is a reason showhomes have ID money spent on them.

I think self builders can get so invested  (and worn out!) getting the building up with all the associated behind the scenes stuff that there isnt much budget or sweat left for the rest!

Our current build in progress I've employed an interior designer at the planning stage this time, may not do all the suggestions but it really helps with furnishings/colours/light etc

• Like 2

Like any project, whatever is the last thing to be done gets squeezed on time, cost and quality. In home renovation or building it’s always the decor and the landscaping that takes the hit. 

Hence so many self builders ending up slapping on white or magnolia just to get liveable, then promising themselves they’ll do it properly once they have saved up more cash. ... this tends to be years later as you get used to what you have. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gav_P said:

Like any project, whatever is the last thing to be done gets squeezed on time, cost and quality. In home renovation or building it’s always the decor and the landscaping that takes the hit. 

Hence so many self builders ending up slapping on white or magnolia just to get liveable, then promising themselves they’ll do it properly once they have saved up more cash. ... this tends to be years later as you get used to what you have. 

This all over.

Its even worse for people (like me) who have not done a new build as such but slapped a big ugly extension on an existing house with all the featureless charm of a rusty Biffa bin. No money, no imagination, no features. ? It's grim. 

Its not so much that you have a blank slate to work with but a fresh turd. And you can roll it in glitter all you like but its still a turd. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I would like Architects to go on an interior design course. Our architect and the, different, one opposite both wanted to site houses with their backs to the Southerly aspect that was available on both plots. They all seem obsessed with the kerb appeal!

I, personally, would love the help of an interior designer to, first, help with lighting as it can have a huge effect on the quality of life in a house. 

I see that most people, above. think that one should be engaged for walls, windows etc but will have already chosen their flooring. Would an interior designer be of any help at the flooring stage. It is expensive to lay the wrong kind of flooring but is given little consideration as a design feature.

What do you think @H Kaur ?

• Like 1

On 30/11/2020 at 15:27, recoveringbuilder said:

Can I ask how long you would live in the house before you'd think about making changes? I think this is quite a good strategy because it also allows time for funds to be a little more favourable after a large building project!

On 30/11/2020 at 15:31, Ralph said:

+1 on this. 

It's surprising how many things that looked good in renders and mock ups at the start of the project looked wrong when standing in the room. 

Can I ask whether you used an interior designer and felt like this? Or was this more of a case with the renders that had been produced by your architect?

On 30/11/2020 at 15:37, Ferdinand said:

Not quite OT, but close enough. I had a recommended interior designer to redesign (not renovate, though a periodic decorating cycle was subsumed in the project) a big student house last year.

The most challenging aspect probably was to negotiate changes to a more comprehensive proposal than I was after, to something rather more modest in budget terms. But to do it in a way that put the budget where I was happy with it, but still gave the ID a project that had enough meat on it to be satisfying professionally and did not unduly affect the proposed look. Suspect that always happens and IDs always expect a few "buts and cuts", just as architects do because they deliberately stretch it to show where they see potential.

In the event we rescoped and renegotiated slightly to reduce the budget by about 30%, which worked for both sides.

Ferdinand

Thanks Ferdinand - incredibly helpful as always and this sounds like a fair compromise.

On 01/12/2020 at 06:16, Triassic said:

I’ve just been reminded by my interior designer, (wife) she had the kitchen/family room, dining room and bathrooms designed, layout, colours, tiles, worktops and flooring, before we met with the architect. The house was essentially designed around these features. We’re at the plaster stage now and colour charts and wall paper samples keep appearing. She tells me, only a bloke would point a house in one colour!

Harman, I’m sorry your struggling to get an answer to you original question. If only you’d asked about thermal mass, air source heat pumps or under floor heating! It’s a bloke thing, sorry......

Not at all, I appreciate the response and actually it's really helpful for me to know that some people will have the design all figured out! I do agree with your wife however, that it would be strange (and probably quite boring) to have an entire house painted in one colour :)

On 01/12/2020 at 07:02, Dave Jones said:

Good Interior design can make a mediocre home look amazing.   There is a reason showhomes have ID money spent on them.

I think self builders can get so invested  (and worn out!) getting the building up with all the associated behind the scenes stuff that there isnt much budget or sweat left for the rest!

Our current build in progress I've employed an interior designer at the planning stage this time, may not do all the suggestions but it really helps with furnishings/colours/light etc

This is so helpful Dave, thank you! I always think it seems a shame to spend so much time, energy and money on building an amazing house only to feel exhausted by the whole process and the very end and rush to finish!

On 01/12/2020 at 07:03, Onoff said:

SWMBO.

This really made me laugh! 

On 01/12/2020 at 08:22, Gav_P said:

Thank you Gav - can I ask if this was the case with your build?

On 01/12/2020 at 12:03, daiking said:

This all over.

Its even worse for people (like me) who have not done a new build as such but slapped a big ugly extension on an existing house with all the featureless charm of a rusty Biffa bin. No money, no imagination, no features. ? It's grim. 

Its not so much that you have a blank slate to work with but a fresh turd. And you can roll it in glitter all you like but its still a turd. 

You really have a way with words, I laughed so much reading this! Perhaps I could use some of these phrases in my marketing material :) Thanks so much for the response!

On 01/12/2020 at 17:18, patp said:

I would like Architects to go on an interior design course. Our architect and the, different, one opposite both wanted to site houses with their backs to the Southerly aspect that was available on both plots. They all seem obsessed with the kerb appeal!

I, personally, would love the help of an interior designer to, first, help with lighting as it can have a huge effect on the quality of life in a house. 

I see that most people, above. think that one should be engaged for walls, windows etc but will have already chosen their flooring. Would an interior designer be of any help at the flooring stage. It is expensive to lay the wrong kind of flooring but is given little consideration as a design feature.

What do you think @H Kaur ?

Hi, yes I completely agree with you that having an architect that has an eye for design is invaluable because as you say, flooring is so expensive to change! An interior designer absolutely would be able to help with flooring and I would say actually that flooring along with windows, lighting and wall treatments makes a house! Nothing transforms a room like new flooring so it's crucial to get it right. It does cover an enormous surface after all! Thanks so much for your response!

2 hours ago, H Kaur said:

You really have a way with words, I laughed so much reading this! Perhaps I could use some of these phrases in my marketing material :) Thanks so much for the response!

☺️

Active posters on this forum are typically old, male and tight so you don't see many mentions of interior designers.  I've spent around £100k which is small even for this forum and its taken a few years to come around to the fact that I could be persuaded that an interior designer would be useful but would struggle to justify spending money on it. 

Money aside, it would be nice to have someone do the interior design because there's so much other stuff going on, decisions to make, things to sort that being able to let someone else do it is one less burden. And those people who say they'll give it some time to get a 'feel' will typically never do it fully, just adding stuff over time and never quite nailing the theme whereas a designer could do it all up front and then the home owner could enjoy it straight away. Something my wife believes in is if you are going to make a significant change, do it early so you benefit from it for longer. If I were trying to sell my services I'd go with those sorts of reasons - as I'm sure you already do. You're not selling a service, you're selling a benefit to someone. 

Edited by daiking
  • Like 2

On 01/12/2020 at 17:18, patp said:

I, personally, would love the help of an interior designer to, first, help with lighting as it can have a huge effect on the quality of life in a house

We spoke to a couple IDs exactly for this, and quickly realised they really didn't want to help and it was a lighting designer we really wanted. Fell in love with the first LD we spoke to and made a massive difference to our plans (and, bank balance... ?)

We're now just doing the paint selection ourselves, various shades of white everywhere except the snug which is thick with F&B brinjal estate emulsion. We'll regret one or the other (or both) of these choices, but... we'll learn from both the decisions and paint is easier to change than moving/adding light fixtures

• Like 1

Ours was an independent designer and for similar size property it was £750 for a developed concept (stage 3 plans) and the same again for a detailed costed design and lighting schedule (stage 4 plans). Additional fee to oversee installation and commissioning but I'm doing that myself

You can get much cheaper / free design services by going with a shop's in house designer but they'll obviously aim to make that back on the sales. 

One nice thing our designer did was negotiate trade discounts on the fancier architectural fittings and pass the savings fully to us. Up to 50% off the massively inflated list prices (still not cheap but made it more achievable).  Not sure how common that is but worth asking

Edited by joth
  • Like 1

Sorry a bit late to this thread, I don’t rate architects much (sorry) and I designed our house myself, and don’t think I need an ID either, ours is “cottage” and magnolia all over till we live in it for a while, I also think colours should come from furniture, curtains etc. We know what we like so why do we need someone to tell us this?. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Go onto Rightmove , put in sw1 postcode and steal as many ideas as you can from the hundreds of pages of listings.

And I'm sure you'll end up with something with all the cohesion and charm of  Hearst castle

• Like 2