ASHP costs

Triassic

The No 1 question has to be do you need to replace your boiler?  If it's working fine I would probably not bother.

then you have to look at the heating needs of your house and see if an ASHP will really work and what alterations you might need to make it work, e.g if you have normal radiators throughout then they will not work with an ASHP so major changes needed.

An ASHP whould be a serious consideration for a new installation where it can be properly designed, but I am afraid a lot of retro fit systems are poorly designed and give disappointing performance.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

An ASHP whould be a serious consideration for a new installation where it can be properly designed, but I am afraid a lot of retro fit systems are poorly designed and give disappointing performance.

Interestingly many of these adverts have  negative comments about system performance and increased running costs.

ill be installing my own ASHP system. Just need to get a cheap ASHP next. Anyone seen any for sale?

I've not even considered asking someone for a price to supply and install as I know it'll just be a disappointment, way overinflated pricing or badly designed. Which in itself is a bit of a sad comment. 

I do have high standards for most things and like it done my way, unless of course I have employed an expert to do a better job. E.g. I would never considering rendering my house. 

The reason you are getting adverts though is likely as you'd done some searches and its now targeted advertising. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:he reason you are getting adverts though is likely as you'd done some searches and its now targeted advertising. 

I agree, just very annoying that I only get adverts for overpriced rubbish, when all I want is adverts for competitively priced ASHPs!!!

2 minutes ago, Triassic said:

I agree, just very annoying that I only get adverts for overpriced rubbish, when all I want is adverts for competitively priced ASHPs

Odd isn't it.  See a car advertised and they quote the lowest price.

I am chatting to someone that has just got his MCS and is willing to travel, but he may think that I just meant Cornwall.

6 minutes ago, Triassic said:

I agree, just very annoying that I only get adverts for overpriced rubbish, when all I want is adverts for competitively priced ASHPs!!!

Search the reputable merchants.  You could always look on ebay, but that is a bit of a lottery and is becoming imho more of a dodgy place to buy stuff.

• Like 1

My experience so far is that anyone "qualified" to install an ASHP setup does so for the racketeering that is an MCS installation.

The minute you tell them exactly what you want and you are not interested in the RHI as it is pennies in payments the shutters come down or they try you have your trousers down at £350 day rate?‍♂️

I have done a fair bit of reading in the evening of the last few nights and I can see no reason why I can't do this myself, therefore I will be doing it myself. I'm actually looking forward to cracking on with it now, I'm just not at that stage yet.

• Like 1

What I find strange is plumbers in particular seem scared of them.  I was talking to one only yesterday and he regards it as black magic and does not want to touch them.  What is even more bizarre is a few years back I wired the new build of a local plumber.  I suggested we install the ASHP between us, but no he would not touch it and got a local renewable energy company to fit it.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

local renewable energy company

The owner of our local renewable company never gets his hand dirty, everything he installs is done by sub-contractors. Clearly the margins are such that he simply acts as a sales man -  nice car, nice clothes and nice house!

40 minutes ago, Triassic said:

I'm installing my own. All i need now are all the bits as the plant room is finished and ready for me to start !

@LA3222 what sort of system/layout are you going for?

Looking at ecodan for the ASHP, 8.5kW with 400l UVC. A buffer for the DHW so the UFH can draw from that. I've got the manuals for the ASHP, UVC and FTC 5, having read them im happy I can do the job. My next task is to merge all the various layout drawings I have to hand into a layout that works. I will then try and plan out where everything will physically go in the plant room before I start installing anything. The manuals were good reading as they cover all the various components needed, why and where. I just need to go back to my sketch and finalise it. It all looks pretty easy to me, just a case of planning properly and understanding what goes where/why. 

1 minute ago, LA3222 said:

I've got the manuals for the ASHP, UVC and FTC 5, having read them im happy I can do the job.

Just remember you cannot self install an unvented cylinder unless you hold a G3 certificate. Everything else is fine. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Just remember you cannot self install an unvented cylinder unless you hold a G3 certificate. Everything else is fine. 

But you CAN do the output plumbing, plumb the heat source and motorised valve and controls, route the cold water supply up to the tank, install the D2 drain pipe then get your friendly plumber to make the final connections, test and commission it and sign the paperwork for not a lot of cost because you have done the donkey work.  But you do need to first find such a plumber that is happy for you to do some of the work.

32 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Good enough reason not to fit one then.

I am sure that you could get a vented cylinder with a couple of coils in it to do the same thing.

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

I could install it, the problem is getting a completion certificate from BC without the appropriate G3 certificate - not going to happen.

Can you get BC to sign it off?  There seems to be a dearth of G3 plumbers around here!