Trying to find a solution...

ZacP

33 minutes ago, PeterW said:

400 tall larder, 800 sink base then a washing machine and tumble dryer side by side - bridge over the whole lot if you really want more cupboard space. Utility will give you access to the drain for the PRV and will keep things tidy. 

Think @canalsiderenovation is doing something very similar. 

That’s why I was v interested in their posts on this! 

I’ll have to convince my wife, a decent size utility was relatively high on her list...

prv? Pressure release valve as a guess this for a vented cylinder? 

On a similar/separate note could you put fuse boards etc in this mini-plant-room? Or would it get too hot?

Edited by ZacP

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

400 tall larder, 800 sink base then a washing machine and tumble dryer side by side - bridge over the whole lot if you really want more cupboard space. Utility will give you access to the drain for the PRV and will keep things tidy. 

Think @canalsiderenovation is doing something very similar. 

Yes, we have all of our stuff in our utility and it's been studded in. It has meant we have less space than we thought (2125 in total now) but will fit an 800 base unit (because we have gone for a large sink) and then a washer and dryer with some narrower units above (kind of like bridging units as we already have one 900mm spare from our main kitchen so just going to put a 600mm bridging either side) as we didn't want anything too low over our sinks (hot/steamy water).

You can see the 'before' it was boxed in pics on a post on here.

IMG_20201128_144729.thumb.jpg.2cde45724f6061ba2a091d8ff2477f98.jpg

Edited by canalsiderenovation

1 minute ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Yes, we have all of our stuff in our utility and it's been studded in. It has meant we have less space than we thought but will fit an 800 base unit (because we have gone for a large sink) and then a washer and dryer with some narrower units above (kind of like bridging units) as we didn't want anything too low over our sinks (hot/steamy water).

You can see the 'before' it was boxed in pics on a post on here.

IMG_20201128_144729.thumb.jpg.2cde45724f6061ba2a091d8ff2477f98.jpg

I followed your utility post @canalsiderenovation! Think we may be going down the same route... what size cylinder is that?

6 minutes ago, ZacP said:

followed your utility post @canalsiderenovation! Think we may be going down the same route... what size cylinder is that?

400l is the tank size which was recommended by a couple of people on here as we have a PV and a solar immersion solic 200.

Our fuse/consumer unit and UFH piping manifold is all in a store cupboard just outside the utility door and whilst I'd of preferred this extra space to be in the utility for vacuum/mop etc it's quite a large stud cupboard so will probably end up with a couple of coats, etc in it as well and we just couldn't fit everything in one place without taking up too much room. There was also lots of debate about the manifold being in the centre of the house.

Edited by canalsiderenovation

1 hour ago, ZacP said:

That’s why I was v interested in their posts on this! 

I’ll have to convince my wife, a decent size utility was relatively high on her list...

On a similar/separate note could you put fuse boards etc in this mini-plant-room? Or would it get too hot?

A jammed PRV did for Three Mile Island ?.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ZacP said:

For what ...? I’ve yet to see anyone use a utility for more than a washing machine and store junk that has no other home .... 

1 hour ago, ZacP said:

Yep but unvented, cylinder has one as does the control block that reduces the pressure of the mains water 

1 hour ago, ZacP said:

Heat won’t matter, but access may be an issue as they are supposed to be at 1200mm from memory now ..? @ProDave..??

Just now, PeterW said:

Heat won’t matter, but access may be an issue as they are supposed to be at 1200mm from memory now ..? @ProDave..??

Yes like everything else they have to be "accessible" so no putting them up high or low down.  you would have to check what the BR say in England it will be with all the other accessibility stuff.

P.S my earlier comments, I missed the post where this jumped from fitting it in a low loft to now putting it in the utility room.

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

For what ...? I’ve yet to see anyone use a utility for more than a washing machine and store junk that has no other home .... 

That is unfair to the point of being libellous.

Shall report you to the Admin.

Oh, you are the admin...

Doesn't @ProDave keep his downstairs bathroom in there?

Different thread required.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Yes like everything else they have to be "accessible" so no putting them up high or low down.  you would have to check what the BR say in England it will be with all the other accessibility stuff.

P.S my earlier comments, I missed the post where this jumped from fitting it in a low loft to now putting it in the utility room.

Don’t worry, not decided yet. Think the preference would be loft if we can sensibly get 2x200l or a 400l one up there but exploring utility space as a backup.

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Think more like utility/laundry/boot room. Place to come in with muddy boots and dogs before getting layers off and keeping house reasonably clean! Also dog food/bowls and beds. It’s a busy heavily used space in our house!

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Our utility has the washing machine and that infernal towel fluffing machine aka Tumble Dryer.  It also was the WC (not everyone likes that idea) 

It also has space for a "pulley" one of those clothes drying things that drops down from the ceiling so not everything has to go in the TD.  That has it's own alcove so you can still walk through the room when it's full.  Yes walk through as it is also the access to the garage.

Oh and there is room for the ironing board to love there ready for use without having to fold it away every time.

So yes a big utility room is good.

Oh and it has a bit of space earmarked for a shower, a Scottish BR requirement.

18 hours ago, ProDave said:

Our utility has the washing machine and that infernal towel fluffing machine aka Tumble Dryer.  It also was the WC (not everyone likes that idea) 

It also has space for a "pulley" one of those clothes drying things that drops down from the ceiling so not everything has to go in the TD.  That has it's own alcove so you can still walk through the room when it's full.  Yes walk through as it is also the access to the garage.

Oh and there is room for the ironing board to love there ready for use without having to fold it away every time.

So yes a big utility room is good.

Oh and it has a bit of space earmarked for a shower, a Scottish BR requirement.

Back in the 1980s we used to have the folding ironing board built in in a special drawer.

The issue was it had to be kept out until dry.

13 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

where  you leave all the wet outer clothing and wellies etc

country

39 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

the place to hang the wet suits up in.

Coast

Americans call them “mud rooms”

13 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

my thoughts a utiliy room in a country setting should also be the "boot room"  where  you leave all the wet outer clothing and wellies etc etc --so yes a decent space for that combined usage --so  warm cylinder  would  not go wrong in there 

There are a few on here with a Utility Room *and* a Boot Room.

I'm just planning (eventually) an approx 2m x 5m utility. Will cost me a bit off the long garage, but I need the dryer in there to create room for a second dishwasher, and a second freezer, and want somewhere very secure for power tools and space for a potential lift, and that is the only convenient place.

Ok, so slight switch in thoughts... how does everyone feel about just ditching the whole ASHP/hot water cylinder thing and sticking with a plain simple mains gas combi?

I know it’s not as brilliantly environmentally friendly, but the installation costs I assume will be much lower and running costs can’t be that much more expensive?!?

Plus space saving....

Edited by ZacP

2 hours ago, ZacP said:

Ok, so slight switch in thoughts... how does everyone feel about just ditching the whole ASHP/hot water cylinder thing and sticking with a plain simple mains gas combi?

Something I would certainly consider if mains gas was an option. Other factors to take into account though.

2 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

Something I would certainly consider if mains gas was an option. Other factors to take into account though.

It is available yes.

what other factors am I missing?

Edited by ZacP

20 minutes ago, ZacP said:

It is available yes.

what other factors am I missing?

combi won’t run UFH without a buffer tank so you’ll need space for that somewhere. You’ll also need a big combi to get decent water flow - WB CDI30 or similar so won’t be change of £2k installed. Also needs an annual service to keep the warranty, so lifetime costs are not cheap. 

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

combi won’t run UFH without a buffer tank so you’ll need space for that somewhere. You’ll also need a big combi to get decent water flow - WB CDI30 or similar so won’t be change of £2k installed. Also needs an annual service to keep the warranty, so lifetime costs are not cheap. 

thats wrong.

A tankless combi ran o0ur first builds UFH for many years no problem.

4 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

thats wrong.

A tankless combi ran o0ur first builds UFH for many years no problem.

A 30KW combi will not modulate down far enough, and will short cycle to death and not condensate at modern UFH temperatures. It physically isn’t possible as the flow rates are too low to sustain for UFH, and the condensate level is too high. Fact. 

An older, less insulated and higher UFH flow temp house may support this, but that isn’t  what we are talking about, so this is like comparing apples and giraffes. 

• Haha 1