Timber price rises

davejura

Hi folks. I'm in the fencing game and keep hearing about predicted horrendous timber price rises through a forum I'm on (one person told me that Travis Perkins are predicting 100% by May!) We put our timber frame new build back a year due to the pandemic, and are now looking at starting in March. I've just had a roof truss company rerun our quote from March this year, and it has gone up by about 15% (they told me timber prices rose by 30% last month alone!). 

What is everyone else hearing, and are you struggling to get what you need? I'm seriously thinking of ordering some of the structural timber as soon as I can and try and dry store it locally. I can see all the extra money we have managed to save this year getting wiped out by this if it comes to pass!

I keep hearing things generally on here. Price rises of that magnitude are purely driven by supply and demand, which you can put down to COVID as I believe there were shortages at the start of lockdown. Combine that with brexit anxiety and uncertainty and supplier's bump prices. There will also the Chinese whispers factor which will inflate the numbers beyond what they probably are. 

It would be good to see some real figures that prove these rises from supplier's exist and can be quantified. 

It is something that does concern me already too, I'll take delivery of my SIPS kit in Feb/March and then need everything else that goes along with building a house.  I did talk to my supplier months ago to ask about shortages as nobody could get OSB at the time apparently, however they said it was fine they were just ordering and planning slightly in advance. 

My hope is we agree a trade deal quickly and then it all goes away, the pound climbs and markets grow as we then have certainty. Next year could be a blinder, if you coming a trade deal eitha vaccine and people able to get out and spend again. 

Onwards and upwards hopefully ? 

Edited by SuperJohnG

On 28/11/2020 at 08:18, ToughButterCup said:

References please. Online would be great. Thanks.

Usual Chinese whispers "Had it from a good source high up in Travis Perkins", etc. You know how it is!

Had an email from our local TP rep today confirming they are expecting fairly hefty price rises in the New Year (he mentioned 20-25%). Going to see if I can order some of what we need and fill the shipping container!

8 minutes ago, davejura said:

Usual Chinese whispers "Had it from a good source high up in Travis Perkins", etc. You know how it is!

Had an email from our local TP rep today confirming they are expecting fairly hefty price rises in the New Year (he mentioned 20-25%). Going to see if I can order some of what we need and fill the shipping container!

These people (I used an expletive here...but removed it!) drive the price up themselves by scaremongering. 

I did talk to Jewson's today and asked him what he thought and he reckoned 15% since lockdown started.

17 minutes ago, davejura said:

Yes I hear you John. Who have you found the best for materials generally? Jewson, TP or any others? Just had my roof trusses re quoted, and they have gone up by about 15% since Feb.

I haven't really started getting prices yet, currently in process of setting up credit accounts with Jewson, JW grant, and TP. I am building my bill of qty's for the foundations currently hence as I go along will do this at each stage in advance then send to each and do the usual internet search. 

I do have a SIPS kit, so no major timber purchases for me and I paid the deposit back in August. But things like plasterboard, battens, renderboard are where I might see big impacts or anything else I need to get from the builders merchants.

I'll feedback once I start getting prices. 

35 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

These people (I used an expletive here...but removed it!) drive the price up themselves by scaremongering. 

I did talk to Jewson's today and asked him what he thought and he reckoned 15% since lockdown started.

Timber has gone up but it wasn’t being harvested and processed across a lot of the Baltic during lockdown and it has caused short supply which did drive up the prices. Checked today and 5-8% is being mentioned for the January increase which is a bit more than last year. 

1 hour ago, davejura said:

John, have you used any of the online estimating services?

No I didn't. 

I toyed with using estimators online for my ecology application, but built my own budget which was formed only for that application and to give a better figure. I have no doubt missed items but I'll deal with that as it comes along. I am basically walking through the steps for each stage before I do it and then I make a list of what I need then the qty's required. Fairly simple. 

I have a SIPS kit coming so big timber purchases are captured in that. Otherwise I have the CAD drawings and can measure and estimate all quantities. 

• 1 month later...

I ordered a load of 2x6 Baltic framing timber a couple of months ago and the price was cheaper than it was two years ago. However the osb prices have increased a lot. From roughly £6 for a 8 x 2 osb 3 tg4 roofing sheet to almost £10. This is purely down to lack of supply, my guess is if things settle down in 6 months time or so, prices will drop back down. I’m looking to start my build in 6 months to a year, not a very relaxing time to be committing to building and it’s got my considering buying a house instead.