Cost per m

PeachyBeechy

Hi, 

We're just setting out on this roller-coaster ride and are looking at our budget. My question is this. We're going to be building a 220m2 timber frame one and a half storey home, brick clad, with air source and mvhr on a level plot on sandy soil in Suffolk. Is £1100/m2 possible given that my husband and I have renovated numerous homes fitting kitchens and bathrooms on tight budgets? the interior doesn't scare us! 

Also my husband will give up work during the build to manage and do as much as possible and I will on hand too.

Many thanks in advance. 

That is right at the bottom of the cost range. I am expecting to complete for £1000 per sq metre in the Highlands, where labour us cheaper and I have done 5 years of work on the build doing virtually everything since the very basic shell was erected, so you will need to do a LOT yourselves to get to that target.

Currently going through the design and pricing stage and it is less about how many m2 you have but more the complexity of the design,  a 300m2 rectangle barn style will be less than a 200m2 complex shape full of steel and glass .

Hi, welcome to the forum. I would say it's possible if it's a straightforward design with nothing fancy and you aren't including fees, landscaping or tools in your costs. Depending on the plot position, services can be significant. Good luck.

Welcome.

I would like to think that £1100m-2 is possible, it does, as @PeterStarck points out, depend on simplicity of design.

Also doing the high markup components yourself will save a lot i.e. you can buy a bathroom suite for £250, or £5000.

One thing to be careful of is the professional fees i.e. Architects, structural engineers, ecological surveys etc.  Some on here have spent more on them that my house costs.

It really comes down to planning, and if you have places to store stuff, you can buy in advance. 

I’m also self building and my costs to date are £1080/ m2 and I’m hoping to finish at around £1100. I’ve done a lot myself. My advice is to keep the design simple and plan the routes for things like plumbing, electrics, mvhr and ASHP. The shorter the runs the lower the cost. A centrally located plant room is the ideal.

15 hours ago, PeachyBeechy said:

Also my husband will give up work during the build to manage and do as much as possible and I will on hand too.

Not knowing what your husband does, is that a good use of his time or loss of income ..? I’d agree for some of the skilled areas it makes sense but labouring can cost £330 a week if they are on minimum wage - what are you hoping to save..? Or is it the project management of trades you are looking for ..?

Thanks for your replies. 

@BuzzThat make sense, it's a fairly simple design. 

@PeterStarck you're right about services, we need a pumping station to lift approximately 1m for sewerage. Electric is in at 9k, water is quoted at less than 1k though.

@SteamyTea our plans are all approved with no complex conditions, just waiting for building regs approval so hopefully professional fees should be limited. 

The design is fairly simple with timber frame quotes  between 55 and 70k depending on the level of insulation and company. 

@Triassic sounds like you're doing well. 

Our plant room is centralish on the south side wall to ensure short run for ashp and mvhr. Could you recommend a brand or company for either of these? 

@PeterW so far we have found it very useful it is to be available to solve problems early to reduce wasted time when we're paying for skilled labour. 

Here it's difficult to find anyone you'd want near your house for £330/week.

My husband doesn't earn a massive wage and both of us want to be hands on anyway, we'll probably only do this once! 

I'd say its possible to get below £1k/m2 - it just depends how long you want it to go on for.  Quality vs cost vs time - you can only have 2 at any time. We are 6 years in but will come in under £1k/m2.  This does not include any outside stuff.  Look hard online for bankrupcy sales - some real bargains to be had but you will need to pick up and store.  Could save 000's on shiny things.  Good luck.