self-storage options on-site

Tom

So, we'll be moving in to a static on-site soon (as long as the house sale goes through), looking at probably January. We'll need to store lots of general house stuff, sofas, beds etc and are lucky that we have quite a few agricultural barns in which to do this. However it's all fairly damp, not rain-damp, more cold slabs and bare earth sort of damp. I've thought about buying a shipping container which I think would do the trick, but they are not cheap and I was wondering if any one had any other ideas. I've been looking at car port things, like a plastic marquee with zip-up door etc - but haven't found one with a floor, and this is the critical thing really. Any ideas?

I would have a real good sort out and let the removal co store it. 

Some removers do very good rates if you don’t need access to your stuff, we have been looking into this for the wife’s parents if you stick it in self storage it can cost a fair bit whereas the removers are 2/3 rds cheaper as long as you don’t want to keep turning up to look in your box. 

Ive owned dozens of shipping containers and they are good for tools and ride on lawnmowers and junk, but not soft furnishings. 

2 hours ago, Vijay said:

I could well be wrong, but shipping containers suffer badly with condensation I believe.

actually I found different, I bought a 20ft container and planned to insulate it to stop condensation but never got round to it, can’t believe how dry it is and it has no vents (but is in very good condition).

Disagree on the container question. We have used them several times. All of our stuff has been in one for over two years now. It’s down in Devon where it does rain quite a bit. Our stuff also spent 18 months in another at Launceston some years back. If the container is good and it is correctly levelled it will seal just fine. Use common sense and take care not to allow moisture in. Do not go in when it’s raining, do not put anything wet in it. Hang up some of those damp buster things you can buy in the pound stores. I was in our container and few weeks ago and it was ok. I brought all of our clothes and some bedding up to Lincolnshire and it was all perfectly ok. I am going back at the weekend with truck to get the rest, sofa, everything. It’s all ok. Cost us £96 a month in a place with rigorous security. We are happy enough having spent most of the last two year, excepting lockdown, touring in the campervan. 

if the container looks anything but new and perfect just reject it and go elsewhere. Do not use the plant hire outfits, they generally only scrap standard containers. You can buy a good one and it will pay for itself in a year in saved rental if you have your own land.

A long time ago, over 20 year, I rented a container as a workshop from a chap. It was a one trip container in perfect order. He had it sitting on 100mm thick sheets of polystyrene insulation. It was nicely levelled and was perfectly ok. He had put power and lighting in and lined the walls with timber. I did a lot of work in there while I was doing a barn conversion. 

A further option is a secondhand site office or portable building, which come with insulation and power already installed.

I once saw a small one 8'x20' from just down the road on Ebay that had been a dance practice studio for someone's teenager, and went for £600 complete with wooden practise dancefloor and disco ball.

F