Improve WiFi

So after months of nagging by the kids about poor WiFi speeds in going to have to try and sort it out. Am I better install something like a ubiquity access point or a mesh system like the Google nest or Amazon eero.

House is 2500 sqft chalet bungalow with block walls on both floors. All rooms have cat5/cat6 cables in them. Can't remember what one I used.

I have 2 of the Ubiquiti ac lites and they have been really reliable in a 4 storey house.  I have one on level 1and level 3 and get seamless wifi everywhere.

I understand the mesh things have come a long way of late but I bought one a while ago which was DOA.

3 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I have 2 of the Ubiquiti ac lites and they have been really reliable in a 4 storey house.  I have one on level 1and level 3 and get seamless wifi everywhere.

I understand the mesh things have come a long way of late but I bought one a while ago which was DOA.

It's the lites in looking at. Have you tested the signal strength at different ranges. Trying to figure out would 2 be enough or as my house is L shape I might need 3.

11 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

So after months of nagging by the kids about poor WiFi speeds in going to have to try and sort it out. Am I better install something like a ubiquity access point or a mesh system like the Google nest or Amazon eero.

House is 2500 sqft chalet bungalow with block walls on both floors. All rooms have cat5/cat6 cables in them. Can't remember what one I used.

Have a look at the Tenda Mesh APs, they are super cheap and work a treat in my house (bungalow, so spread over quite a large area). When I visit my Dad over the road I still get a connection to my WiFi!

If you have a wired network i would install wired WiF AP. Ive just purchased two second hand Draytek 902 for £30 each off ebay to replace old AP800s that were failing.

If the neighbours are miles away the best three channels to use are 1,6&11 as these don't overlap. If they are close use a wifi scanner to see what's in use as there might not be enough spectrum for more wifi AP.

PS I'm getting 38 to 44 Mbit over wifi to fast.com

Edited by Temp

6 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Have a look at the Tenda Mesh APs, they are super cheap and work a treat in my house (bungalow, so spread over quite a large area). When I visit my Dad over the road I still get a connection to my WiFi!

They are reduced today as well. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-Coverage-Compatible-100Mbps-Configured/dp/B07H3CXJBH?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Signal strength really does affect bit rates. Download the keuwlsoft wifi analyser free from Play store and check signal strength. Anywhere above about -75dbm works well for us. I'm currently getting -60dbm upstairs through a concrete floor and about 40mbit.  See what it says in remote rooms.

Edited by Temp

4 minutes ago, Temp said:

Signal strength really does affect bit rates. Download the keuwlsoft wifi analyser free from Play store and check signal strength. Anywhere above about -75dbm works well for us. I'm currently getting -60dbm upstairs through a concrete floor and about 40mbit.  See what it says in remote rooms.

Will check it when I get home from work.

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

If your internet is faster than 100Mbps, you'll need the Tenda MW6's or MW5G's with Gigabit ports on them ?

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

I’ve got TP link Deco M4 mesh system (3 units). Covers the whole house and complete garden now.  £100 from curry’s . Bargain. 

Same performance at the bottom of the garden on WiFi as with Lan connection direct to the router. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up with this I opted for the ubiquity lite access point. Used the WiFi analyser app mentioned above and took readings in each room using my current talk talk router. These ranged from 59mb in the kitchen to 3mb in the farthest bedroom. 

Set up the new access point in the same location and ran all the same tests. Was an improvement in each room. Moved the access point to the first floor landing approximately in the middle of the house to find the sweet spot. Now the slowest I get in the farthest room is 45mb with some rooms touching 70mb.

It's fair to say I'm well impressed with the range and speeds im getting with this access point. Using the ubiquity app on my phone setup took 5 mins. Was able to change the SSID and password to the same as was previously used on the talk talk router so nothing need changed on any device.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 27/11/2020 at 15:41, Gav_P said:

I’ve got TP link Deco M4 mesh system (3 units). Covers the whole house and complete garden now.  £100 from curry’s . Bargain. 

Same performance at the bottom of the garden on WiFi as with Lan connection direct to the router. 

On 27/11/2020 at 14:22, MikeGrahamT21 said:

If your internet is faster than 100Mbps, you'll need the Tenda MW6's or MW5G's with Gigabit ports on them ?

I’m looking at using the TP Link or Tenda devices to throw WiFi 20m down the garden to my new shed (and to see if it stops the kids complaining about WiFi in the house)

Does the device need line of sight to be effective over this distance or can it be on the nearest wall of the house but on the inside of the cavity wall (rockwool batts not foil backed PIR ).

2 minutes ago, daiking said:

I’m looking at using the TP Link or Tenda devices to throw WiFi 20m down the garden to my new shed (and to see if it stops the kids complaining about WiFi in the house)

Does the device need line of sight to be effective over this distance or can it be on the nearest wall of the house but on the inside of the cavity wall (rockwool batts not foil backed PIR ).

Mine certainly doesn’t have line of sight. Seems to be fine at the bottom of both gardens approx 30m in each direction. One way is through thick solid stone walls and the other is through cavity walls (with foiled PIR). 

I will say that the mesh unit I have in my shed / office needs to be near the window to pick up the signal from the house... I don’t know if this is due to distance, or the fact that it’s completely lined with PIR and foil taped (much better standard then the house is). 

Id say buy one and try it out, if it doesn’t work return it. Mine was only £100 from currys, but has a max speed of 100mbps. 

4 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Mine certainly doesn’t have line of sight. Seems to be fine at the bottom of both gardens approx 30m in each direction. One way is through thick solid stone walls and the other is through cavity walls (with foiled PIR). 

I will say that the mesh unit I have in my shed / office needs to be near the window to pick up the signal from the house... I don’t know if this is due to distance, or the fact that it’s completely lined with PIR and foil taped (much better standard then the house is). 

Id say buy one and try it out, if it doesn’t work return it. Mine was only £100 from currys, but has a max speed of 100mbps. 

Cheers. Our WiFi is poor even direct from the router so I don’t need a mega-spec system, probably just something with 3 units.

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Is it the line/service into the house, rather than the routers?

Yes, that’s my point. I don’t need some high spec Gigabit mesh network thing.

Anything with 100megabit, a unit plugged into the router, a unit closest to the garden and a unit in the shed. If it’s going to work, that will.

We have an additional Access Point in the house ( Cat6 in all rooms) and external cable running overground (temporarily) with another Access Point in a shed.

All works fine for 9 people using Zoom, Playstation etc.

Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 08.27.00.png

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted the Tenda AC1200 yesterday and really impressed for change of £70. Whole house mesh, set the first one up with the SSID and ID from the old broadband router so no need to change any of the devices and was surprised how quick it all connected and gave a good stable signal. Also very neat that you can set it to auto restart at 3am overnight so you don’t have the issues of lots of old leases hanging around.

Will see how good it is in a couple of weeks but so far so good.