Security ip camera

We’ve put provision in for 2 camera’s with network cable, front and back of house. Looking for any ideas on type that provide power through cat 5. 

Is is it worth it?

or should we just plan for wifi cameras?

2 minutes ago, Taff said:

We’ve put provision in for 2 camera’s with network cable, front and back of house. Looking for any ideas on type that provide power through cat 5. 

Is is it worth it?

or should we just plan for wifi cameras?

Go poe - much more reliable . Hikvision always seem good . 

5 minutes ago, Conor said:

I've reolink WiFi cameras all over the site. Work just fine and not too expensive. I don't see the point in anything that needs a network cable.

WiFi bandwidth is limited . Not just by your cameras but everything Wi-Fi is sharing it . Common limit is 54mbps . Poe cable will be limited by isp throughput and the tariff you are on .

Edited by pocster

1 minute ago, pocster said:

WiFi bandwidth is limited . Not just by your cameras but everything Wi-Fi . Common limit is 54mbps . Poe cable will be limited by isp throughout and the tariff you are on .

Does that mean if I only get 38mbps that WiFi would be ok?

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

WiFi bandwidth is limited . Not just by your cameras but everything Wi-Fi is sharing it . Common limit is 54mbps . Poe cable will be limited by isp throughput and the tariff you are on .

So how much bandwidth does your security camera actually need then?

I can stream boradcast tv over 3mbps so I would not expect a security camera to use even as much as that?

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

I can stream boradcast tv over 3mbps so I would not expect a security camera to use even as much as that?

Depends on resolution , bits per pixel . MPEG compression, FPS .

It could all by fine but you only have so much Wi-Fi available . Also if some Wi-Fi is 5ghz range and some the older 2.4ghz  they can run simultaneously with the correct router . Also if you / others are using Wi-Fi for browsing / streaming it all adds up . As @PeterW said you’ve got to get power to the camera anyway so make it poe -then Wi-Fi is ‘free’ for other uses . Need a router that supports poe of course - there are different poe standards aswell ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taff said:

I've been using IP cameras with passive 'poor mans' PoE injectors/splitters (i.e. they use the same unused Ethernet pairs but that's as far as compliance with the standards goes) for over 15 years now and never had a single issue. I'm sure there must be downsides but if like me you want full market choice of camera and get maximum bang for buck I'd recommend it.

I'd suggest WiFi for mobile devices (or very hard to reach places) and wired connections for everything else.

Edited by MJNewton

The cable has already been installed to the site of the camera’s, so Poe is just 1 cable that can power the unit as well? Soz for being thick ? also do Poe cameras have the ability for an app over Wi-fi?

13 hours ago, ProDave said:

Minimal I would presume as hopefully not used much

15 hours ago, PeterW said:

Using Cat5 for analogue doesn’t make sense unless you have local power at the camera. You still need two cables to the camera. PoE is now pretty standard and IP cameras are significantly better than analogue. 

The 4 pairs in the cat 5 are split,

3 do power 1 pair does data.

that’s what industry has done for decades.

So the cat 5 can do IP based camera or analogue HD.  That’s what I have , happy with 1080p resolution.

• 2 weeks later...