Building control drawings

Buzz

Working my way through the what comes next and building control will soon need to be dealt with , the fee I have in front of me is £2400 for building control drawings this is to submit a technical plan to BC for their approval ( I pay all application and inspection fees ) is this value for money ? I am leaning towards a timber frame and the supplier will provide the spec for the frame and I have been told to appoint an SE for the foundations , with these two items being provided by others am I paying someone £2400 just to cut and paste someone else’s work add a few generic specks for windows etc and fill out a form ?  

Sorry to jump in @Buzz but I have a similar question and perhaps the answer to one might help with the other! 

Can anyone draw up building regs documents? Much like having an SE who doesn't need to visit site? If so, I'd shop around! for the best price if you know what spec you want and just need someone to put it into darings for BC. 

I didn’t submit any drawings from an architect 

everything was basically as you say prepared by others and just neatly put into a big document. 

Piling drawings and specification by piling co

ringbeam layout, steel schedule, loadings  by piling co. 

Wall spec from manufacturers 

wall reinforcement from structural engineer 

roof design by timberframe co

condensation risk, by insulation co

drainage by co that did our flood risk assessment. 

Sap assessment,,  blah blah blah the list goes on, it’s all available to you just depends how complicated your house is and how much you want to get involved, if you don’t mind a couple of weeks of collecting files and formatting it. 

It all got packaged up, nothing to add by architect unless you have finicky details that you need to point out, but these really need giving to the guys on site, so you can get the technical details from manufacturers and print it off yourself. 

Building control will soon soon tell you what they are missing.  

55 minutes ago, ZacP said:

Sorry to jump in @Buzz but I have a similar question and perhaps the answer to one might help with the other! 

Can anyone draw up building regs documents? Much like having an SE who doesn't need to visit site? If so, I'd shop around! for the best price if you know what spec you want and just need someone to put it into darings for BC. 

My architect wanted £15k for BC drawings and discharge of the planning conditions!

This was the point where I stopped being a client and took a more hands on approach. I used an independent assessor and they were very helpful with the DIY approach.

I used a package TF company (MBC) and submitted their detailed drawings & calcs to the BC who was more than happy with them. Did similar for the basement design we got from our SE (I did not use MBC for a traditional slab).  The rest of it was easy enough, probably the biggest effort for me was a draft EPC using the Stroma tool and a tweaked model posted on here etc.

At the end of the build, the BC was equally helpful in giving me the checklist of things they needed to sign off the build (e.g. test certs from electrician etc..).

Planning conditions were also easy to discharge once I'd received the archaeological and ground investigation studies - our LA charged per submission so I just sent in one big doc that covered everything and even got my fee back as they took more than 12 weeks to approve.

So best place to start is to ask your BC what they need to see and / or send them what you have from the TF company.

2 minutes ago, nod said:

The Architect that did our first build has just quoted me 1700 for working drawings and submissions Plus the Counsul fees 

and about the same for design 

That seems exceptionally good value! Do it, for piece of mind if nothin else! 

This was the quote from our architect, just for info and if its useful to compare....

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this.

I have now had a chance to review the drawings and am proposing the following:

Assist with engaging a structural engineer to look after all of the below ground structure up to an including the lower floor slab; design the retaining structures; cantilevered first floor balcony and balustrade (checking/securing; ridge beams and other roof structure as required; corner post and support structure to the Lobby, but there may be something that I have missed.  The structural engineer would be directly employed by yourself.  I have allowed for up to 2no. meetings with the engineer.

1:50 general arrangement drawings of ground floor, first floor, roof; 4no. sections through the building; 4no. external elevations; site plan with drainage and suggested service routes.

In addition I foresee the need for some larger scale details at 1:10 and 1:20 scale, and have allowed for 25no. details to various junctions, including roof/roof, roof/wall junctions, balcony, damp proofing and tanking, window and door junctions.  These would all be dimensioned, annotated and referenced to the general arrangement drawings.

This would allow a building regulation application/approval to be made, as well as provide you with good quality information for costing of the ‘shell’.

Cost to this stage              £6,695

Cost for Part L thermal calculations, SAP and sign off for Building Regs – I use an external consultant for this, allow an additional budget figure of £350

I can also provide a Finishing Schedule to identify everything a builder might be expected to provide within a room, including electrics and heating.

Cost for the Finishing Schedule £1,350

I have allowed for 5no. meetings on site to discuss construction and finishes, should you require more they would be chargeable at my hourly rate plus travelling costs from Worton.

A more detailed construction specification would be an addition that I could cost later.

I am excluding any external works features from this quote, so just to the building and balcony but not the car parking or approaches to the front door.

I am unsure where the surface water will drain to at the moment, so reserve the right to defer to the engineer on this if proves difficult to establish locations for soakaways.

I am assuming there is mains drainage in the main road above and that a dual pump pumping station will be installed to cover this.

Any additional work outside of this agreement will be on my hourly charge rate of £65/hr, or otherwise agreed.

The above is exclusive of Building Regulation application and inspection fees, Structural Engineers and Service Engineers fees, and VAT at current rates.  I am attaching my Terms and Conditions.

I hope this is of interest to you and that we can work together on the project.

Regards

Two different things in play here that I see.

1) generating sufficient detail to satisfy BC - while it's nice to tie all of this in a bow, most of them can deal with bits and pieces from different sources. They will know what they need. 

2) generating sufficient detail for your contractors to build to. If you're using a turnkey service (like a TF) then they will produce their own details, however other trades (windows, roofing etc) will want to understand how they interface and in the absence of an agreed detail may not do it the way you wanted. If you're going down a more traditional route then full drawings are essential.

I can see where you are coming from, the price is fixed so I suppose some will take a lot of time others not so much . The T/F company who are local want to price for tiling the roof , exterior bricks and render and windows so with the se designing the foundations not much left , some you win .....