Floor Insulation

Homer92

41 minutes ago, farm boy said:

Thanks for putting the photos on. I can see you used the pre formed sheet pipe clip system, I notice some people put another layer of polythene over the insulation and then use the clips that spike into the insulation. Not sure which system to go for, I guess it comes down a compromise between the price of materials and ease of fitting. Most of my pipes will be at 100mm spacing so I can see the pre-formed sheet saving a lot of work.

The red Polypipe panels take the place of the layer of polythene atop the foil faced insulation. You end up using less concrete/screed with the panels but the resultant slab is less dense of course. The upstands form little air pockets / hollows underneath. My slab is 100mm thick. I then have a layer of A142 mesh sits on top. It does save too on support chairs. 

SAM_3348

It is SO easy and quick to lay pipe as the video shows. Me using my home made de coiler.

I cast the main slab but left the wet room corner until later when I cast that area to falls with an exotic pea shingle, SBR heavy concrete mix.

20170815_213340

The mistake I made was leaving it so long. I was standing on / bouncing up and down on the mesh that I started to abrade the UFH pipe! Luckily I spotted it and mitigated with some trunking off cuts:

20180307_174219

In fact in this area, because of the fall I actually cut out the Polypipe panels (a mission as the mesh was in place. I then put a membrane down on the foil faced PIR, tied the pipe to the mesh and concreted.

20180327_174543

20180327_174524