Basement toilet options?

Cookie

Hi All

Working on finalising the plans for our ICF basement. Today looking at the drainage and plumbing down there. Anyone have an alternative to a macerating toilet? I understand we need this to pump the sewage up to reach the foul drains. Searching for other ideas since Saniflo etc get such bad, bad reviews. My parents had one in France though and no problems at all with it, we just called it the Tiger Toilet due to the noise, but no blockages or problems over 20 years.

Thanks in advance...

I have fitted a mini pump station in a basement.  It is a tank that we semi recessed into the floor and contains a pump with a float switch.  The outlet is large enough not to need a macerater.   It is quiet when it operates.

It was a bit like https://www.drainstore.com/pumping-stations-pumps/mini-micro-small-sewage-pumping-station-for-extensions-and-garden-rooms-190-litre-capacity/

• Like 1

On 25/11/2020 at 16:29, Mr Punter said:

I have fitted a mini pump station in a basement.  It is a tank that we semi recessed into the floor and contains a pump with a float switch.  The outlet is large enough not to need a macerater.   It is quiet when it operates.

It was a bit like https://www.drainstore.com/pumping-stations-pumps/mini-micro-small-sewage-pumping-station-for-extensions-and-garden-rooms-190-litre-capacity/

Oh that looks like a much better idea. So a recess in the concrete floor, as we will be doing for the double sump then. Do you know, does this mini pump sometimes have a backup or if it stops working I guess you just switch it off and fix? Thanks so much.

The one I fitted just has a high level alarm.  The backup pump ones are for larger pump stations serving more than one property.  They are very onerous with servicing and maintenance.  Easier just to just buy a spare pump and change it if it breaks, or buy it after / if it breaks but you cannot use the downstairs WC for a few days.

• Like 1