Establishing a contract & works information for a Contractor

StevieD

Hi

Thankfully we have attained full planning permission and passed the noses of building control without too much fuss (bar their interpretation of build cost). We are starting to engage with a couple of contractors for quotes to attain the appropriate level of mortgage funds - our adviser has okayed twice the rough cost but we only want what is needed (bells and whistles can be added later). Once we have selected our contractor, is there a standard pro forma contract to agree with a contractor available or can someone signpost me to one? We have already engaged with certain suppliers (windows, UFH & ASHP supplier) to provide when the main contractor ready at different stages and would need to detail these caveats into the contract (client supplied items/scope of works) and other works i can self perform. Same for works information, i know what i want to detail but if there's a pro forma template to use it would be a great help. 

Also, how risky is it to start a self build w/ self build mortgage in the current climate? so much uncertainty and unpredictable climate looking ahead for the next couple of years. I suppose there is never an ideal time to start but if we have the means to start now and the rates wont change much, might as well crack on. Based in NI. 

Rather than something off the shelve 

Get as detailed quote as possible off your chosen builder 

Then sit down and go through every item with him

Discus stage payments and approximate timescale 

When you are happy both of you sign it 

It’s a real balancing act between covering yourself and giving the impression that you may be hard work 

4 hours ago, StevieD said:

building control without too much fuss (bar their interpretation of build cost).

What has building control got  to do with cost?

4 minutes ago, nod said:

Rather than something off the shelve 

Get as detailed quote as possible off your chosen builder 

Then sit down and go through every item with him

Discus stage payments and approximate timescale 

When you are happy both of you sign it 

It’s a real balancing act between covering yourself and giving the impression that you may be hard work 

+1, to the above. I find problems between builder and customer are usually over “assumptions “. When I used to quote fir work as a builder, it was very specific, no ambiguity, “I supply this, you supply that, I do this”. I believe you will also get a “gut feeling “ about a good builder/contractor when you sit face to face to discuss your project.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2020 at 16:37, joe90 said:

What has building control got  to do with cost?

On 25/11/2020 at 17:24, dpmiller said:

BC charges are based on build value once you get over a certain size, over here. I had to throw together a breakdown that matched our proposed cost to "prove" that I wasn't doing them out of profit...

BC Cost - yes their inspection rate was based on valuation of the build - they went to the higher end cost, we tried to argue the costs down (i.e. you can have a £2500 bathroom suite vs £15k and the like) but they were adamant. The overall difference in cost was approx £600 so we gave in for a (hopefully) easier life, fearing we could be earmarked for harsher inspections by BC down the line. 

One contractor i spoke to who is quoting was very direct over key payments i.e. block work completion, roof completion, full envelope, etc. and establishing works i can complete that he would be happy for me to self do (drainage, landscaping, foundations (i know some are particular on some tasks) and elements i will have supplier in. In the current climate we are in, builders and suppliers are keen for the work but i don't want to be seen as taking the proverbial Mick - they want to work and i want value for money but i want to make sure nobody gets messed around. I know what i want and want to make sure its detailed that any variation/change is agreed first (before anyone uses their initiative), payment at agreed stages and after inspection of works, retention built in for snagging at different stages. I think its part fear of trying to get it right first time and not get caught out on some oversight that will chip away on our emergency fund for the works.  

On 25/11/2020 at 16:29, nod said:

thankfully we are based right across the road from the build and from a farming background so we are well trained in getting value for money!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieD said:

BC Cost - yes their inspection rate was based on valuation of the build - they went to the higher end cost, we tried to argue the costs down (i.e. you can have a £2500 bathroom suite vs £15k and the like) but they were adamant. The overall difference in cost was approx £600 so we gave in for a (hopefully) easier life, fearing we could be earmarked for harsher inspections by BC down the line. 

One contractor i spoke to who is quoting was very direct over key payments i.e. block work completion, roof completion, full envelope, etc. and establishing works i can complete that he would be happy for me to self do (drainage, landscaping, foundations (i know some are particular on some tasks) and elements i will have supplier in. In the current climate we are in, builders and suppliers are keen for the work but i don't want to be seen as taking the proverbial Mick - they want to work and i want value for money but i want to make sure nobody gets messed around. I know what i want and want to make sure its detailed that any variation/change is agreed first (before anyone uses their initiative), payment at agreed stages and after inspection of works, retention built in for snagging at different stages. I think its part fear of trying to get it right first time and not get caught out on some oversight that will chip away on our emergency fund for the works.  

thankfully we are based right across the road from the build and from a farming background so we are well trained in getting value for money!

Local Authority BC never asked us the end value 

Once we have selected our contractor, is there a standard pro forma contract to agree with a contractor available or can someone signpost me to one? 

Does your mortgage lender that want to see the contract, ours did? We decided to go for a RIBA contract, it's relatively straightforward to fill in and accepted by our mortgage lender.

We're also in NI and had to to estimate the build value for BC. They didn't question my estimate, it wasn't by any mean unreasonable but makes me feel a little like I could have gone lower...

Edited by cwr

What is your build type. For a timber frame it's much easier to get in a ground works crew to get the founds in then the timber frame company takes it on and you finish it off. For block then you have a lot more running around sourcing materials and man power to complete each stage.

As far as mortgage companies go your very restricted here so pay a premium. You just have to suck it up till your deal is done then hunt for a better option when your 3/4/5 year self build mortgage runs out.

I had to give a fairly complex breakdown of my costs to the Ulster Bank to show that the money I was borrowing was enough to finish the house.