Sliding a diswasher without ...

ToughButterCup

Mr Eight Fingers of which a mere six consent to do any useful work calling ....  ( the other two are good at holding liquid soap because of the scaring)

Our chippy thought he'd have a joke by making the space for our dishwasher one mm bigger that the  600 needed, so there's half a mm either side... well not even that because the side of the opening isn't plumb. And now that he's sitting on a deckchair sunning himself somewhere - phone off - router unplugged - earmuffs on,  I need some help. To me, the dishwasher is effectively jammed in.

Back in the good old days, I'd have just heaved and sworn a bit, and the - as yet unconnected - dishwasher with a bit of sweat, would have moved. Now I need to be a bit cleverer about it. I've looked at loads of YT videos, and while some are nearly what I need, none are quite right.

I think I need a really simple thin sheet of something like PTFE. There isn't much vertical space left for me to raise the front of the damn thing, let alone enough play to rock the washer forward to get something under the rear legs. I've tried to find where to buy a 700mm wide sheet of PTFE - no luck. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough. At the moment, I think I'm not far off deciding to take the worktop off. 

If ya cant take a joke Ian, don't start....

Anyone got a bright idea? 

Shiny side of hardboard (either way up - lack of friction may be best against the floor). Or a bit of chequer-plate.

Make it deeper than the washer, and perhaps cut a "handle" in it.

Or perhaps something with a "spring up lever" at the back? Problem there is if it sticks you won't get it back out ! 

Once it is out you may have the space to fit a 600 x 600 x 8mm floor tile in the space to make it slippery. eg in white

https://www.tiletown.co.uk/en/alaska-white-floor-tile

Can  be expensive per sqm but you only need one tile, which I get for about £12 from the tile shop. Also  under fridges.

• Thanks 1

When fitting kitchens (years ago) I always left more room than minimum because of this. With washing machines even more room cus they tend to “wobble” (I like the shiny hardboard idea). Are you putting it or taking it out?

One of the problems with building your own house Ian is that self-builders work to such fine tolerances...

Our washing machine slot is the same - although we have a bit more than 1mm. What I did was tie some cord around the 2 back legs which hide under the machine until I need to get it out. This gives a bit more leverage. But I accept it will still be tricky with only 6 consenting fingers.

• Like 2

The back legs should slide but make sure wound right down so don't snap. Get the missus to do it how many fingers has she got?

I swore I'd never fit another after this one. They're just a pain in the arse better off on show in a utility. 

Next week on a job - can you just sort the dishwasher out in plot so and so...

Been there, NASA grade tolerances between the unit and carcass.

The resin floor was top coated after the units went in also so extra challenge.

I think I used two sheets of stiff but thin plastic from some packaging to create a slip joint between the feet and floor, lots of effing and jeffing but got it out (and back in again).

Ah my pet hate, where I have to slide a washing machine out to get to the plug to pat test it.  Then you find the kitchen floor was done after the WM went in so there is a step up,. and the floor is only cheap lino and liable to tear at any minute.  Oh the joys.

• Like 1

I had to remove the floor tiles to get my old one out as it wasn’t tiled under the dishwasher and the legs were down as far as they would go. I made sure that the new one had more adjustment in the legs. 

On 24/11/2020 at 14:40, Bitpipe said:

... two sheets of stiff but thin plastic from some packaging to create a slip joint ...

Just thrown a load away 'en oi? ?

22 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

We've had some teflon sliders for around 25 years which we've used many many times for moving anything heavy. A bit like these:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273232292342

You star Peter. I had seen them ,but on closer inspection, I see they are saucer-shaped : in other words not as thick as they at first appear.

20 hours ago, newhome said:

I had to remove the floor tiles to get my old one out...

Tiled under the kitchen work surfaces ... just about the only thing we've done bang on right.....

22 hours ago, ProDave said:

Ah my pet hate, where I have to slide a washing machine out to get to the plug to pat test it.  Then you find the kitchen floor was done after the WM went in so there is a step up,. and the floor is only cheap lino and liable to tear at any minute.  Oh the joys.

You can  do us a PAT test on yer way past next year Dave...... ?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, ProDave said:

Ah my pet hate, where I have to slide a washing machine out to get to the plug to pat test it.

On one of the machines I fitted a few years ago, the instructions said the plug must be  accessible before pulling the machine out.

13 minutes ago, joe90 said:

On one of the machines I fitted a few years ago, the instructions said the plug must be  accessible before pulling the machine out.

I WISH that was a requirement for rental properties.  I always make it so, but you would be surprised how many don't.

I draw the line at a built in Fridge Freezer where the plug is similarly hidden, I then tell them as it's not "portable" it does not need PAT testing and will be covered by the EICR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

You star Peter. I had seen them ,but on closer inspection, I see they are saucer-shaped : in other words not as thick as they at first appear.

Ours are called Magic Gliders and we even used them for sliding our 210kg Genvex Combi into position. The nearest thing I could find now was:- https://www.magiglideuk.co.uk/

2144087807_MagicGliders.thumb.JPG.f05b7683b431412b622f89e70948271c.JPG

• Like 1