Perlin Cross timber

Hi looking to make some storage space in my loft but maintain the correct level of insulation. 

We will probably build a bit of a floating floor but either way this timber is in the way. Its crudely nailed in place. Is shakey as anything and at some point looks like its been cut and patched up again.

My question is what is it and does it need to be there? Was it there to hold the perlins in place while the roof was constructed but could now be removed? 

Would it still be advisable to secure the same trusses further up near the ridge line. 

thanks

74356E52-E68C-43C8-987F-DECF8437496F.jpeg

B4179BC3-313A-41FB-806E-BD9AABB13824.jpeg

2B01D8EF-7197-4FD7-9C82-4F7846DB7F6F.jpeg

89F6118D-4574-438B-8CAF-8300D7D08467.jpeg

On 24/11/2020 at 22:40, DevilDamo said:

They are collars/ties spanning between the rafters, which provide lateral restraint. They prevent the structure from spreading outwards so to eliminate them would require a roof re-design.

if that was holding my roof from spreading, i'd be seriously worried.

knock it off, roof is absolutely fine the way it is. purlins are fine and well supported

Joiner came and to check over. Agreed that its not doing anything. If really wanted to brace further up (I’ll attach pictures later for anyone interested). New hangers in so finally I can think about putting a proper hatch, ladder and lots of insulation in.

thanks for advice.