In/under roof steels - vaulted area. (Pics please)

SuperJohnG

My superstructure engineer just finished the design and we are currently drawing the SIPS design and my designer needs some input from me on the position of the steels. 

It can be either in roof or under roof, see below. 

In roof is less intrusive and likely easier to level out internally with battens and plasterboard, maximises window also. Downside being a big thermal bridge, but I cant quantify how much of an issue it is?

Other option being below roof -   Much better thermally, but big drop below roof internally which I'll need to build down too (or do I just hide it in able wall?!) and obviously reduces window size. Also would give a really big services void, which may be helpful. 

What have others done? would be really helpful to see pics of others glazed gables internally and externally.

image.png.5460c2bfa9c39c7eb3757d2b3294a823.png

image.thumb.png.1487ebc03d84ff4be49e947ca2372113.png

3d models fro context:

image.png.d10f655eb84df55e0ac0814c890dbc42.png

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

no offence but it looks like a Lidl entrance.

Haha. Fortunately I would have agreed with you. It was changed to a 2 section slider as it wasn't really that nice. Just the original 3d wasn't updated. 

51 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

You have probably excluded yourself from the housewarming party list there.

Haha. Maybe not....but it definitely won't be any time soon anyways. 

If you go inroof the SIP roof panels will sit in the web and you can insulate the flange underneath? If you batten out the whole underside of the roof that will give you a 38mm service cavity, in this 38mm space where the steel flange is you can cover it with insulation. Use 40mm of aerogel insulation  and you will have it well covered then?

I have a steel.goalpost arrangement exposed to my cavity, I covered it in the aerogel stuff, not cheap but its a solution that makes the best of the issue?‍♂️

• Like 1