Ecodan ASHP

LA3222

An update ref plumbers not being interested in doing a non mcs/rhi install. Had one get back to me and said he wants £45/hr including traveling time one way. Reckons will take 6 to 12 days to plumb in the ASHP, UVC and buffer etc. so approx £2k to £4k to do the above! @PeterW am I wrong to think this bloke is trying to have my trousers down? Another 'push' towards just getting on with it and do it myself?‍♂️ 

35 minutes ago, PeterW said:

6-12 days ......????? To do what ..??! 6 yes at a push if he’s doing everything, 12 is just ridiculous ..!

Ha ha, that's exactly what I thought. Definitely trying to have my trousers down - I've got visions of the film Human Traffic and a corporate shafting !! 

Edited by LA3222

Rough experience from memory:

• 1 day - remove oil system
  • 1 day - outside ground prep, install
  • 1 day - new electrical circuit
  • 2 days - buffer and heat exchanger
  • 2 days - DHW cylinder; piping to it; replace cold tank; insulate
  • 1 day - fill and test

2 men (at least) on each day. Plus the MCS paperwork in the background, the costs really add up. Of course you pay a premium to get MCS... these are businesses providing value after all.

Edited by J1mbo

• 3 months later...
On 23/11/2020 at 10:16, PeterW said:

I think for both @LA3222 and @joth your key issue with Mitsubishi and any install will be the (lack of) documentation and also any warranty for the units as from memory Mitsubishi require a registered installer to complete the commissioning to get the full 5 or 7 year warranty. This is offset by the fact there isn’t a lot to go wrong on these units and they are well made, but access to the non standard features of the controllers requires a lot of hunting around and in Mitsubishi’s case I believe requires their installer software on a laptop to reprogramme the SD card on later models. 

Many on here have self installed, but the units have been rebadged Carrier units or other monoblock units that have simplified control systems. I’ve installed an Ice Energy unit that turns out is a Mitsubishi under the lid, but only needs a 24v control sequence on 3 contacts to make it run - nothing too difficult there then ..! 

Self install needs a good understanding of the different valve and control configurations - and how your controls will integrate into the overall system. It’s fine having something such as the Smart Grid override in the FTC 6, but how do you ensure that you’re actually taking any benefit, and what has the final say as to which system is in control ..?? I know the system @TerryE has built is very elegant in it’s simplicity using nodeRed, but a lot of this comes down to supportability and future proofing. I built a simple RPi based solution to control the ASHP I installed to control the power levels based on flow temperature etc, and actually realised it’s not needed and it runs on 80% power permanently as the unit itself does some cleverness so I send it a simple start and stop from a standard heating controller. I’ve integrated 2 electric towel rails, 2 electric UFH systems, a 300 litre UVC and 85sqm of UFH into 2 off the shelf controllers that any plumber or electrician can replace to make things simple. 

I think there are misconceptions about the costs of installs from suppliers but a lot of this is down to the RHI / MCS premium charged. If you do all the basic plumbing and get the pipes to the right places for ASHP connection and the tank in place (welcome to the joy of needing a G3 certificate) then you will be left with a couple of days for the engineer to hook it all up and commission. Those are the jobs they like doing, as they don’t need to spend hours drilling walls and fitting pipework etc, and tbh if you ring around you will probably find a local refrigeration company that are Mitsubishi certified who can do this for you at a reasonable price. If you go to one of the ones offering the “boiler replacement for RHI” then expect the MCS premium to be added. 

Hello PeterW

I bought an ecodan 5kw puhz pump if you can tell me how I can start it without ftc controller, my father is an electronics engineer but he didn't run with pumps, but under your guidance I think he can start, I don't need all the functions just to start the compressor. If you could show me a diagram I would be grateful, thank you.