Kent/Sussex Self Build Dreamers

HethaCG

Hi All - so grateful to find this forum as can already tell it’s going to be super useful! 

My husband and I have been dreaming about building our own sustainable home for several years and now, with a 1year old in tow, a lack of space is making us want to do it sooner rather than later!  As with many others on here, we’re trying to find some land in Kent or Sussex but know we may well be in for the long haul as it’s like gold dust in the south east....but where there’s a will there’s a way! 

Am am I right in saying that building outside of a town’s settlement boundary in an AONB is an absolute no-go? And has anyone had any luck with getting permission to build on green belt land? 

Looking forward fo sharing learnings on this exciting journey! 

Heather

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HethaCG said:

Am am I right in saying that building outside of a town’s settlement boundary in an AONB is an absolute no-go?

Welcome Heather.

The answer to your question is available at two levels: national and local.

The National framework is available for you to examine with very little effort . Have a look through some of the resources in this google search. They should be read with caution,  perhaps even respectful skepticism. Ya never know who's writing wot on 'tinternet - or why. Hmmmm - applies to this post too.

'... absolute no-go ... ' I bet you can find applications which have succeeded in AONBs. It'd be useful to research those that have succeeded because .....

In relation to the area of interest for you , the answer  is  harder to find, but it only takes a bit of effort. Look at the websites of the Local Planning Authorities. Search for planning applications that match the idea that you have. See who has been refused PP, and who hasn't, and work through why the applications were accepted or rejected. 

The answer to your question is inevitably highly influenced by local considerations. Network  - ask as many local folk as you can and listen to the answers.

I think , like us, you may well be in for the long haul. Only took us 30 years or so. Stick with us and we'll help as far as we can.

Best of luck

Ian

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Only took us 30 years or so

about 10 years for us and 2 previous attempts at purchasing something falling through but now we're about 2 or 3 months away from breaking ground!

Welcome Heather!! stick with it and I'm sure something will come up eventually.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Hi Heather, I've just joined this community and found your post.  We are looking for one or two others to join together to locate and buy a suitable plot, which we can then divide up and build - we figure that getting a bigger plot and pooling resources is the way to go.  We are in Hastings and looking at the East Sussex/Kent area/border.  We are planning an eco build, off grid so we're not bothered about services.  Tim