MVHR duct pipes clogged with dust - help!

My Vent Axia Sentinel Kinetic came with the filters looking like this (see photo!).

The whole system seems pretty clogged up (see next photo - you can see dust clogging up the pipes) , so I think I need to clean out the system.

This is my first home renovation project, so I'm excited to get going but not sure what to do. Does anyone have any tips on cleaning the system out?

Not sure if this makes a difference, but I'm renting, and the landlord probably won't do anything about it, so I'll have to. Does anyone know if this is something they have a duty to take care of?

Dirty Filter 1.jpg

Dirty Filter 2.jpg

Clogged Ducts.jpg

It's a 30 min job to clean them out and put new filters in place once you have got it clean for the first time.

Turn the power of to the unit.  Around the edge of the front frame you will see small screws. You will need to remove these. Be careful as the plastic cap that holds the spring clip in place is flimsy. Once removed you will see a large hexagon unit, heat exchanger, with a handle on it that you remove. Pull it out and clean inside the void with a bleach wipe. You will see where dust has built up around the pipe inlets and outlets.

Rinse the heat exchanger in the bath with warm water till it runs clean. You then let it drip dry for an HR and then use a hairdryer to fully dry it out. It all goes back into place fairly easy with just care taken around the screws again. It will make sense when you see the crap clips. You will also need new filters. Google the make of your unit as different ones need different filters. If your landlord wants to pay towards it then happy days. They aren't dear though, £20 ish.

For the vents in the ceiling pop the plastic cover of the roof, they are only pushed in and then use a Hoover to get it cleaned out and rinse the cover and use a bleach wipe on it and into the pipe in the ceiling void. 

Google the make of yours and you will be able to download a manual which might give some pics to explain it better.