Floorboard quotes - what am I missing?

AlanUK

I've had two quotes from different places for T&G softwood boards, that are wildly different.  So, I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Quote 1:  FSC 25mm x 150mm PTG Flooring Redwood, - Finished thickness 19/20mm  230meters = £590 + VAT

Quote 2:   19mm by 120mm = 230metres = £280 + VAT

Obviously I'll need to buy a bit more of the narrower stuff from quote 2, but not that much more.  So, why is it so much cheaper?  Is it inferior, or will it be thinner?  And what is "finished thickness"?  Is that the thickness that I get it at?

Thanks.

Are you sure the second quote for Redwood? You can find similar variation in price from the same store. It depends on quality/species of the wood. 

Redwood £2.17/m

https://www.builderdepot.co.uk/25mm-x-125mm-softwood-tongue-groove-redwood-flooring-5in-x-1in

Whitewood £1.36/m

https://www.builderdepot.co.uk/22mm-x-150mm-softwood-tongue-groove-whitewood-flooring-6in-x-1in

Mr Punter - I've considered those sort of floorings, and what you say is right.  I was going to use the wood as the surface though, and didn't want to put any carpet etc. on the top.  Hence going for the softwood.

Temp, I suspect you have hit the nail on the head there.  I need to confirm the cheaper quote's wood type, and I suspect it will be the whitewood.  So, is the redwood harder than the whitewood, or just has a nicer look to it?

Then it’s a no brainier really 

one of the protected chipboard floors, all glued and screwed, get it 99% finished and then a nice engineered wood board on top. 

Gives you the chance to change colour scheme, and also if your budget gets tight towards the end you can wait a while and fit the finish floor later, just leave the skirting off. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Temp said:

Put a mat under the wheels of the office chair.

Absolutely, yes. I had  pine floor in a previous house which coped fine with a wheeled chair, but that was old very dry boards.  I'm sure new ones won't be as hard wearing.

3 minutes ago, AlanUK said:

Absolutely, yes. I had  pine floor in a previous house which coped fine with a wheeled chair, but that was old very dry boards.  I'm sure new ones won't be as hard wearing.

I agree, modern soft wood is nothing like the quality of old floorboards. I floored my sons dining room some time ago with reclaimed /resurfaced floorboards and apart from old nail holes they were really good.