Old stone converted stable vs plaster damp issues...

strideredc

Staring to get somewhere with the underfloor so now on to what to do with the plaster when we come to do it...

below floor level its damp! it's been like this since it was converted in 1976 and looks a bit ropey but it's not to bad most of the old plaster needs to come off but what/how to replace it?

its stone and rubble 1.5ft thick walls but what do we put in its place? as we are on a hill it's more the back wall as that's ground level where as the front is 5++ft above ground. 

the underfloor htg will heat the house much more evenly than before as it going to be on a ASHP but we dont want to plaster if damp is going to be a continuous issue...

lots of the old issues were guttering (now fixed)and the drainage we can improve but we dont want to do something if it's wrong!  it's only an issue going 8-10 inch up the walls.

Any suggestions???

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

IMG_20201120_191804299.jpg

The sensible, but perhaps not doable, thing would be to wait to see if it dries out - which will inform what you can do.

In the absence of that possibility, there are things you could do such as install something which works not, and will allow it to continue to dry out.

But for a start, what sort of wall is it - internal / external and what material? I'm guessing solid block and external? What is behind that curved corner.

For an external wall one thing I have done is dry line including an insulating membrane, allowing it to dry outwards in the future. 

Then the new DPC in the floor wraps up into  the new drylined wall.

Alternatively, can you inject a DPC? May not be perfect, but it would be a vast improvement.

F

17 hours ago, strideredc said:

it's more the back wall as that's ground level

I would consider a French drain, trench next to the wall backfilled with stone (no fines) to direct any ground water away from the building.

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

I would consider a French drain, trench next to the wall backfilled with stone (no fines) to direct any ground water away from the building.

How do you stop leaves clogging a French drain? Thinking maybe put a weed membrane 2", 4"? down and periodically lift and clean it out.

25 minutes ago, Onoff said:

How do you stop leaves clogging a French drain? Thinking maybe put a weed membrane 2", 4"? down and periodically lift and clean it out.

Yes mine has membrane then “fancy” stone on top. Pipe from this goes to boundary drainage ditch.

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Yes mine has membrane then “fancy” stone on top. Pipe from this goes to boundary drainage ditch.

What's the fancy stone? I was thinking something you could shovel out and sift the crap from. I've filled a pseudo French drain here with flints which I'm hardly short of.  

if back wall has earth banked up to it --its always going to be  good  cause of damp in walls 

dig the earth way  or you have to tank inside somehow 

lots of ways to do that --all cost money

I have same problem with part of my old building project --suggested solution as its a total refurb -- build stud wall inside and then spray closed cell foam on wall --that is  water proof 

only you can say how much damp there is

sounds like its coming up from the floor if only 8-10" up the wall

but would be suprised if its only coming from there if back wall is below ground level.

thanks for the replies, the floor (not at the mo as its dug out for ufh)  is level with the ground outside that consists of a cobblestone yard.

no banking of earth or anything like that...

I dont want to plaster and have it coming through. options are lime plaster, it's a big wall! 

then you have to use paint that costs a 100 quid a can! batton and insulate plasterboard with a membrane? 

Lime wash isn’t so expensive. Bit different to put on than normal paint but very easy once you get a couple things right (dampen wall before painting and go for thin layers). 
are you planning on insulating the walls? You can still do that with a breathable buildup (lime plaster backing coat/airtight layer, wood fibre board, finish lime plaster).

I’ll second putting in a french drain along the outside wall. 

Hi ,-- sorry i mis read your first post - and thought  back wall was piled up with earth 

if not then the french drain at bottom of trench filled stone chips next to wall is a good solution 

you could always go for wainscott panelling on inside --which is one of the reasons   why they used  100+years ago  , -- cos bottom of wall was always prone to damp  and that solved it 

very common in old farms and cottages 

17 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

sorry i mis read your first post - and thought  back wall was piled up with earth

So did I, but if damp I still say instal a French drain . Which way does the cobble yard slope?.