Show us your...

The downstairs layout and the view.

Downstairs there are 2 rooms, the kitchen / diner and the living room joined by the central stairwell with each room having double doors to the stairwell, so they can be used as one big open space, or close the doors and you have 2 separate rooms.

We positioned the house on the plot as close to the road as we thought we could get away with, so it is further forward than the neighbours.  This gives us the view down the road in front of the other houses to the mountains.  The other houses in the road only have front and rear views over farmland.

The view is best appreciated from the kitchen island.

kitchen_worktop.thumb.jpg.230ee4b603a754ddc875ff238c67f804.jpg

view.thumb.jpg.33de08120eaea8a32cd1f70957361d57.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Might seem tame but everyone who has visited my build has commented on my angled window and door reveals, very “cottage” and I did them myself ?

image.jpg

I love that. You're right, it does give a 'cottage' feel for sure.

Did you see the one they did on 'Ugly House to Lovely House' recently where they angled it the other way? The plasterer didn't get it at all, but it carried across from other features in the design.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

view.thumb.jpg.33de08120eaea8a32cd1f70957361d57.jpg

That view!! Absolutely sensational.

Our plot doesn't really have the prospect of a distant view like that, but we're lucky to be very secluded and with mature plants/trees all around us. Part of our challenge is to design something to make use of some of the unusual trees we have, particularly our ancient Mulberry. When we split the plot, we're hoping we can encourage a buyer for the original bungalow to honour the gardens, which are too good to lose.

39 minutes ago, Mulberry View said:

That looks unusual. Would be good to see how that fits into the exterior? How will it be glazed? A fixed pane?

I have 3 of them. One on each gable. All will be a single fixed pane with radial bars. I don't have a good outside photo because the scaffolding for the roof now gets in the way.

20200706_201345.thumb.jpg.0bcd37433461102b369b508910dad47d.jpg

• Like 1

We almost put in a balcony, but realised we could achieve what we wanted with two large top hung velux windows. Opening it up for the first time, I stood out of the window and felt like king of the castle. It was worth the decade of waiting and saving.

P1170158.thumb.JPG.c85c8dd1bc8330f09ad418b2dd6c6aa3.JPG

P1170157.thumb.JPG.b8886d2efcdbd3b12143b89760b0aabc.JPG

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, dnb said:

I have 3 of them. One on each gable. All will be a single fixed pane with radial bars. I don't have a good outside photo because the scaffolding for the roof now gets in the way.

20200706_201345.thumb.jpg.0bcd37433461102b369b508910dad47d.jpg

Is the glazing for those in now? If not look forward to seeing it in a future blog entry.

18 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

We almost put in a balcony, but realised we could achieve what we wanted with two large top hung velux windows. Opening it up for the first time, I stood out of the window and felt like king of the castle. It was worth the decade of waiting and saving.

P1170158.thumb.JPG.c85c8dd1bc8330f09ad418b2dd6c6aa3.JPG

P1170157.thumb.JPG.b8886d2efcdbd3b12143b89760b0aabc.JPG

Come on! Now THAT is a view! I'd love that, but I'm a Southern softie, so couldn't deal with the cold!

You seen the Velux Cabrio window?

7 hours ago, Mulberry View said:

Did you see the one they did on 'Ugly House to Lovely House' recently where they angled it the other way?

No, angled the other way????? The mind boggles, will try to find it on catchup

Like @Olly P the glazed gable for us from our kitchen/dining room and the tall corner window to the side of it looking out across the canal as the boats go past. We were initially going to convert the bungalow and go up and have a balcony and I'm so pleased we changed our mind and kept the bungalow with the glazed gable.

IMG-20201115-WA0017.thumb.jpg.dc104fcda408428d28be60d619d7f0ea.jpg

I do love our ensuite roof light which will be above the sink and toilet. I thought it would be such a dark room and it's surprisingly light.

IMG-20201115-WA0011.thumb.jpg.dac711da44c091f4c196e957cc20471b.jpg

Not sure it classes as a design feature but more an unexpected surprise but due to the different levels of the bungalow and existing internal hall space we have some large hall areas. We changed this door to a window and it's such an unexpected nice space. It could have actually ended up an office space had we not already got a seperate room.

IMG-20201123-WA0040.thumb.jpg.0e9f29dffa5c18821ef27ef53a3144eb.jpg

@dnb I love your rounded window. My wife always wanted a round window and we were hoping for one on the flat roof but it was so expensive we couldn't afford it.

Edited by canalsiderenovation
  • Like 4

On 22/11/2020 at 11:58, Mulberry View said:

That stonework is lovely, the year plaque is a nice touch too.

We'd love some sort of stonework, either inside or outside.

On 22/11/2020 at 12:01, joe90 said:

Gorgeous stonework, lovin it. ?

Thanks 

I got 95% of the limestone free off marketplace and people I knew taking walls and outbuildings down etc and giving it away. We guess at least  100 tonnes I collected up before we started the build 

Edited by Olly P
  • Thanks 2

@Olly P a random question.

You see on the corners where the walls meet, do people use the same stones as the rest, but a mason would chisel the stone to make them more block like in shape, or do you have to buy special 'block' stones to match the existing stone work?

Just always wondered!

As others have said, that stone work looks great.

• Like 1

On 20/11/2020 at 13:44, Mulberry View said:

Come on! Now THAT is a view! I'd love that, but I'm a Southern softie, so couldn't deal with the cold!

You seen the Velux Cabrio window?

Yes did consider the Cabrio, but the cost and having a room in the roof design means we achieve the same idea.

You get the same views with the windows shut! ?

The West Coast of the Highlands has quite mild temperatures. Probably more wind and the rain than most. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

@Olly P a random question.

You see on the corners where the walls meet, do people use the same stones as the rest, but a mason would chisel the stone to make them more block like in shape, or do you have to buy special 'block' stones to match the existing stone work?

Just always wondered!

As others have said, that stone work looks great.

Thanks, yes the stone corners (quions) are made to order from a local limestone quarry. They were expensive but because i got the rest of the stone for free I could justify it. I think that it wouldn't of looked as good without them and I had the quions put into the corner of the house which is rendered too. 

• Like 1