Dry Hip and Dry Ridge problem on new build

Tomfromsurrey

Hi,

Can anyone advise on the dry hip and dry ridge installation on a new build property I am about to purchase.

I have some experience of roofing and dry ridge but not this type.

The dry ridge has 3 clips at each ridge tile joint. most of the clips are not fully home and raised above the ridge tiles. See Photo

The dry hip looks a mess, particularly at the top. See photo. The support for the tiles is buckling causing the ridge tiles to be not seated straight.

My questions are,

. Why are the clips not fully inserted or what is stopping them being inserted?

. Why is the dry hip such a mess. Is it because they used the wrong tile supports. I appears they should be longer and stronger so they lay straight?

. Should the waterproofing roll under the plastic tile supports be molded better over the tiles.?

. Does anyone recognize the hip tiles and if so what make and type, and what is the dry hip make and type?

Thanks in advance

RFJJE7603.JPG

SCKI4038.JPG

I don’t know that make but the hip looks messy, the ribbed flashing should be stuck down to the tiles, but it’s not. I folded mine back a little under the hip tile so not to be seen (but well stuck down). Yes, ridge fixings look odd. Best to ask the builder why it looks like that!. Welcome by the way ?

Edited by joe90

Welcome. It looks the same as the dry ridge I am about to use. I think it was called Wonder Ridge or something like that. I will check this afternoon when I am on site. You've got me worried now!

On 19/11/2020 at 12:51, Oz07 said:

Have hip support trays been used? Bottom hip should be either bedded or hip end closure on. Does the bottom course of tiles look to be same pitch as rest or are they hanging down

There is support trays there but they are cheap pish.

The bottom ridge is also a blockend, you can see it in the first picture.

6 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

sloppy workmanship, the ridge clips should  be seated properly, if they didnt double batten underneath it there isnt anything for the screws to bite into. The dry ridge is very poor, maybe they tried to apply the self adhesive backing in the rain so it didnt stick.

The problem is that they have used too many battens underneath. Its stopping the clips from going down properly.

100% tried to do the hip in the rain but it's a site and they are on poor money so I'm not shocked.

My thoughts are:

1. Hip - should there be a black plastic bit under the silver V shaped bits. The black plastic bit should fit into the dry ridge and force the black plastic union pieces tight against the tiles when the silver V shaped bits are screwed to it.  The black plastic bit also stops the metal V bits from digging into the tiles.  On yours you only seem to have the silver V shaped bits so possibly nothing clipped into the dry ridge union to pull it tight against the underside of the tiles

2. Hip - the dry ridge waterproof material isn't stuck to the tiles.  Maybe they didn't remove the backing tape on the material

3. Ridge - the silver V bits should be flush against the tile, so that the black dry ridge union pieces are pulled tight against the underside of the tile. Without that happening water is likely to get in behind the tiles plus the tiles will rattle in the wind as they're not held tight against the roof. 

4. Ridge and Hip - the tiles seem very flat to me. Have they got enough wooden battens under the dry ridge material for the dry ridge/hip unions pieces between the tiles to be screwed to?

It must be something about the area where i live. I have never seen a dry ridge system fitted on any house, that i have thought, wow, that looks neat. It always looks a mess to me. I have seen many new houses being re-visted by roofers to re do them because they are leaking. I wonder if it is just that the trades dont know how to do them properly.

8 hours ago, Oz07 said:

I think roofing generally attracts a lot of chancers @Big Jimbo bit like block paving. Its rare to find one who actually takes pride in the job

Sadly, I think you're right.  A lot of trades people seem to focus on doing jobs quickly, so they can get on with the next one instead of doing them right and they leave a trail of shoddy jobs behind them and then customers have to get the job redone a few months or years later when they find out what they did.  

I recently confronted one roofer about this and he told me that customers don't know what roofs are supposed to look like, so they get away with doing a quick shoddy job instead of a correct one that would have taken just slightly longer. 

Thanks for all your advice guys, it’s appreciated. I am 500 miles away from the house so can’t go back and check the detail out. I feel like we are getting the run around from the developer and their agent. It has had the final NHBC inspection last February but obviously these roof issues weren’t picked up or it isn’t something NHBC would report on. It has also had the final Building Control inspection.

Here are some other photos of the same roof. The guttering looks suspect at the end and the ridge is up at an angle where it meets the wall. The lead work and tiles don’t look right over the right of the garage door. I think I may have to walk away from this but have incurred legal and search fees already. The developers are dragging their heels on committing to rectify all the issues.

D45A4DEE-F5FB-4D46-AE41-1994CC23EDE6.jpeg

3D8C5F4E-EB99-4437-984A-96CA4B500CD5.jpeg

1A476F7D-EEBE-436C-9495-E546F18E9EEB.jpeg

C7734367-EC05-4FA1-A90F-8E90E403C09D.jpeg

18C46516-E820-4CAE-B2FD-4CB94462ED2B.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why is the porch roof not running in line with the garage roof.

Walk away, will be a valuable life lesson. 

I have never seen tile verge caps used like that before. Not sure if it's a clap for solving the issue or a slap for solving it, putting them on and standing back going yeah that's great looking. Obviously got the pitch wrong for one and ended up using end caps and lead to hide it. 

As @Russell griffithssays walking away might be best. If they can be bothered peeling the backing of the roll out section or driving the screws in fully or using lead and end caps to hide the balls up between the porch and garage roof then what else is waiting to be discovered.

That porch roof to garage is disgusting. Doesn't look a cheap house either. End bit of guttering will fill up, drop futher and leak. The fascia is not high enough all around on that place as can be seen by bottom course of tiles. Wants some over fascia vents nailing on above the fascias if not there already to give it the kick. Hard to say from here but if the bits you can see look like this imagine what the bits you can't see look like. 

To be fair there could be a window cill at that porch lead flashing level. It's a poxy 3" upstand and could be the only reason someone would leave that transition looking like that...and there are still better ways of dealing with it. 

OP do I win? Is there a window to the right of that picture above the porch?

1 minute ago, Oz07 said:

Mr punter c'mon wouldn't you ever try to sell a house with that porch to garage roof transition? Screams amateur builder to me. 

I don’t think it’s amateur builder, I think it shows a rushed cock up, so what else is hiding, missed insulation, forgotten cavity trays. 

The list could be endless.