Patchin up me porch

zoothorn

20 hours ago, jfb said:

Filler like that never looks quite right. I tend to fill with mortar instead. 
not sure about the damp. Do you have a picture from the outside?

Hi jfb, yes should've filled with mortar. Live & learn.

Anyway a pic of porch outside

20FDA7FE-CE72-438E-B0F0-53974555FCEF.jpeg

4 hours ago, newhome said:

They even make them new like this to get the rustic look. 

C165590B-0163-4AA1-B016-007A5443828E.jpeg.b5e1d69092150b462fc2f745743dcfd2.jpeg

https://www.pavingandflooring.com/old-welsh-quarry-tiles

Hi there newhome,

those do look nice and clean though.. a third of mine are like so (this is scrubbed really hard ) which just look 'dirty' & many big gouged chips too:

716950F9-D075-4247-A6E8-13827361CCB4.jpeg

Try soaking a tile in hot water and a little washing powder. Give it a scrub to work it in then leave. Might lift the dirt. Rinse well.

You could probably stick them in the dishwasher...if you have one. I turned down a freebie, working one the other day...

Edited by Onoff

59 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Try soaking a tile in hot water and a little washing powder. Give it a scrub to work it in then leave. Might lift the dirt. Rinse well.

You could probably stick them in the dishwasher

Make sure that the washing powder is biological. 

I don’t recall a dishwasher in Zoot’s kitchen refurb ?. You can use dishwasher powder in hot water though. 

If that doesn’t work then maybe try something more abrasive. 

I really wouldn’t worry about trying to get the tiles pristine - character it is callled!

regarding the damp it is a bit hard to tell but possible that water is getting in under the mortar flashing (white in the picture) where the porch roof meets the wall. You can just see some gaps under the mortar I think.

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

You could probably stick them in the dishwasher...if you have one. I turned down a freebie, working one the other day...

Its already been done this one (concreted edges before, gunked top) in hot soapy water & jif in.. chipped off crap then galv scourer scrub the feck outta 50 of them. I think they'll have to do like this, as Joe says, it seems actually in the fired tile this black 'mouldy' looking thing.

Dishwasher? Fat chance. I dont think theyve come out here yet. 

41 minutes ago, jfb said:

I really wouldn’t worry about trying to get the tiles pristine - character it is callled!

regarding the damp it is a bit hard to tell but possible that water is getting in under the mortar flashing (white in the picture) where the porch roof meets the wall. You can just see some gaps under the mortar I think.

Hi jfb.. I think you must be right yes that has to be where its getting in. Rain was slanting into this side of house for 2 days. Its the only gap, i took gutter off & no obvious entry point underneath.

Fill with a thick doing of white exterior silicone stuff?

17 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Fill with a thick doing of white exterior silicone stuff?

Should be ok. Or a bit of mortar. 
check there is no way for water to get in at the top of the mortar as well as the bottom.

1 hour ago, jfb said:

check there is no way for water to get in at the top of the mortar as well as the bottom.

So mortar adhering to the tiles is ok? i was thinking silicone as it would be easier to get off tiles, if ever need to.

On 23/05/2021 at 15:21, jfb said:

(This post not addressed to jfb, i just cant remove the quoted post above).

Just about to jump into my tiling job. I go to youtube clips, 1st thing I see is some flexible sheet laid on concrete floor.

Is this necessary for me? Or can I crack on with just laying my adhesive onto my concrete floor.

Do I need to prep the surface with anything? Ive got Mapei Fast-set adhesive, which i believe is less quick than Rapid -set. Only stuff available. Any tips welcome. I plan to just lay without cutting any: meaning a 1" gap to wall at each side.. & laying from doorway, I'll have a 2" gap to wall/ think how to finish off these gaps later.

thanks zoot.

@joe90 Hi Joe,

I'm 1/4 into tile laying. Now I think I'm gonna be a bit short on adhesive- the mix ratio on the pkt seemed wrong (way to heavy) but even so I'm gonna struggle. Can you tell me, I'm doing it in quarters, & saved my excess bit of compo from my 1st mix in a food bag/ tight. But its starting to set. So I'm kneeding it! I might even put it down my trouser Joe.

Can I 'knock it up' this stuff? or bung this bit back in, or add water to it.. I guess thats knocking up, isnt it-? Damn stuff sets way too fast to do it any other way than lay 12 tiles/ no more or the compo will go off it seems to me.

thanks zoot.

thanks.

36 minutes ago, joe90 said:

No, it sets chemically, once it starts going off forget it, you can only throw it away.

No understood. It went down the trouser to no avail.

@Onoff well I didn't see any youtube info on priming it you see. Its too late as you say, over 1/2 done. dammit if Ive bodged it.

On 23/05/2021 at 15:21, jfb said:

(This post not addressed to jfb, i just cant remove the quoted post above.. again!).

Turned out great so far, good few uneven corners, chips.. & the last gap bit 2" or so adjacent to door Ive 2 tiles for/ cut when i can. But way better than expected. The gap nr door area gets wet here, from door drips also rain getting thru under thru door sill somehow.. so ideally done asap. 

Or just mortar this gap? It'll have a matt on covering most if it. No adhesive left tho you see.. just enough to do job! V. Lucky.

thanks zoot.

14662CAB-59B6-4611-B32E-270FD5D4EAE9.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

That looks proper tidy ..!! Well done ..!! 

Clean it and seal it and then grout it. 

Hi Peter- that's as clean as they go! I'll do the Mattstone tile sealer stuff once grouted.. I used on my bathroom tiles & no issue with the grout lines: it makes the job alot easier, I think (it might make the grout not stick in the gaps is my thinking).

Pretty fluky getting front/ back 6 tiles almost perfectly in- there's a 3/4" gap at back, 1/2" gap to front where slate step is, I guess just do a neat mortar job in both to fill, rather than grout?

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Grout will do in both and the Mattstone won’t stop grout sticking to the gaps but will keep the tiles cleaner when you do grout. 

Ok will do that next then before grout. Might be able to get my 250 mls left to last longer this way! Pricey stuff.

thanks zh

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

Ok will do that next then before grout. Might be able to get my 250 mls left to last longer this way! Pricey stuff.

thanks zh

250ml will go a long way if you make a pad with something like an old piece of tea towel over a small sponge. Wrap over and dip it in a dish of the stuff; squeeze excess and wipe over, it won’t use that much.