Patchin up me porch

zoothorn

You see what I have here, is a sort of step over the door sill, into the porch. 45mm below the door sill.

So I was wondering whether this 45 mm step over situation is normal, or, if it shouts 'put a bit of floor on me'.. and should really there always have been something on the concrete to minimise this 45 mm step over thing. 

Something attractive would sure set of the 'entrance' vibe to the house really well.. tiles? ive no idea of the best ideas for a porch floor to a cottage.

What would you do, just lino it? I guess I could for now/ come back to it when the idea comes/ sits correctly.

E2454C69-19C7-492A-944A-C62C85A19B16.jpeg

44E05A38-4551-4798-AFC0-CB6B69A4330C.jpeg

That cottage is crying out for a quarry tile floor, it’s what I have done In Mine!! Lino will only make the damp worse IMO, plastic will suck the damp up out of the concrete floor. Quarry tiles are quite thick about 20mm so with adhesive will make you threshold less of a Problem !

image.jpg

Edited by joe90

On 07/05/2021 at 09:40, jfb said:

why don't you tile it to the same level as the step?

Hi jfb. Yes tiling has started to cross my mind, if I tiled bathroom wall then Im capable, i think.

Height. There is a big old threshold 'money shot' lovely slate chunk, which is 2" H, and starts 2" above the concrete floor. And the frame is so low I skim my head going thru, so, this total of 4" I think is useful. If i were to tile, I need to forget the door sill step over now i think.. & do it so it adds as small a height as possible onto my concrete.

I was thinking black and white alternate victorian sort of 'smart classy look' marrying with the b&w general cottage walls, beams, black gutters etc. But quite an intricate job, smaller tiles etc, maybe in a symmetrical pattern. Maybe Im overcomplicating it with this idea tho.

thanks zoot

On 07/05/2021 at 09:45, joe90 said:

That cottage is crying out for a quarry tile floor, it’s what I have done In Mine!! Lino will only make the damp worse IMO, plastic will suck the damp up out of the concrete floor. Quarry tiles are quite thick about 20mm so with adhesive will make you threshold less of a Problem !

image.jpg

Actually I have many welsh terracotta tiles, heavy 1.5 x as big as yours here, and 1" thick.. & probably enough to do the job now youVe jogged my memory joe. I wonder if they would be suitble to tile? Im not sure if they are tiles, or wtf they are!

But its the old slate threshold & low access frame height im wondering might be compromised by adding say 1.25" H onto the concrete.

Good call though.. id forgotten all about these. All dug out buried under a huge area of bad concrete slab in front of the cottage, used as infill. So free tiles doing it this way. Makes alot of sense. Hmm..

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Yes, 15mm max “bump” allowed ?.

Joe youve set me on a new course. What I have, is 50x, 9x9" one inch+ thick, reclaimed ( from here!) terracotta tiles. A few corners snubbed here n there, old mortar remenants on edges too. Most scruffy so not in a great state.. but Ive worked out I need 52 to cover my porch. Thats pretty amazing luck, if 2 x can be left off under the prayer bench spot.

Will these clean up ok do you know? I cant really think what else they could ever be used for apart from floors being so thick/ heavy.. they'd fall off a wall surely!

Is your doormat there set down into a recess so top is flush with your tiles? Which look great btw, and skirting etc too.

thanks zoot

Yes they are old fashion floor tiles, used a lot in cottage kitchens etc, shame you are two short tho. Mine are modern 20mm thick and 150mm x 150mm, yes just leave out a space for the doormat, mine was cut to size so whole tiles were used.  If you bought a thick doormat just don’t tile that bit then you have enough tiles ?. You will probably have 8 to 10 left over so give them a scrub with brick acid and use the best ones. Use waterproof floor tile adhesive (stuff you mix powder with water not the shit stuff already mixed). The tiles are hard to cut but an angle grinder with a stone disc or diamond tipped blade will do it. My ragged edges are covered by my nice skirting. (Shame the puppy decided to chew it ?) . Crack on mate.

@joe90 I'm mulling over whether adding so much height with my tiles might bodge up my entrance to house, where my slate threshold/ pine door is.

I had thought adding this ammount of height good, because it negates the step-in/ over, at my upvc door/ porch entrance from outside. Now I'm not so sure it's wise. Plus cutting the sods too.. I have no angle grinder.

If I were to go with the idea (it -is- the cheap option) using my heavy 9x9 tiles, & as Ive never tiled a floor before: can they squash down/ be pressed right down, so the adhesive adds only a mm or so in height-?

what I mean is, the contour of the slates underside, has slightly raised trench sections, uniformly all over (possibly mfr with cement/ adhesive in mind) where adhesive would 'pool' & so be a few mm's more than say the outer edge. I wonder if pressing each tile down firmly is the very idea maybe?

If the adhesive adds say 1/4" in height to the tile.. it's too much. I'm constantly skimming me noggin on me plant-on.

Adhesive should add about 5mm so may be too high, why not look at tiles, false slates or something. I have black “slate “ type in my conservatory and their only 6mm thick so may be ok for you and easier to cut and slate fits in with Welsh cottage. For the small amount you need you may find an end of line cheap.also you know you want one, don’t you? https://www.toolstation.com/draper-650w-115mm-angle-grinder/p91726

image.jpg

@joe90 well thin normal tiles are an idea.. but I'm saving £60+ using my tiles.

What I was wondering is, in order to get a very level surface, which on a floor is important, if you were to press them home firmly (putting 1st an even ammount of adhesive & cris/ crossing it scouring it etc).. then you have a definitive & uniform 'stop' (that being the concrete below)  in order to make one perfectly level to the next. Plus in my case.. it reduces the height by 5mm which I need. Adhesive will squidge more out/ up between tiles of course.

I'm not sure I'm butch enough for angle grinders like you rufty tufty lot. I borrowed one to nip the steel bars to right length, for my cabin base me bending over & attacking each one on the ground between my legs.. but I almost set my own arse on fire (&/ or my own nutsack). I did have the stream next to me thankfully.

thx zH

How flat is your concrete floor? It has to be fairly flat to start with. No, sqidging  all the adhesive out is a bad idea, does not leave enough to bond, but others who know more than me about tiling will put you straight on this. Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsbE-Q3ylps

15 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

grinders like you rufty tufty lot.

No, old retired fart me!!! A small 115mm angle grinder is not a beast to use.(but when cutting steel best not shower yourself with sparks their rather hot ?.)

Edited by joe90

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

I would only ever use a tile levelling system if and when I tile again.

I find if the subfloor is flat tile levelling systems (which I have never used) are not needed.

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

I find if the subfloor is flat tile levelling systems (which I have never used) are not needed.

They're are if it's me. My bathroom floor was like a billiard table.....before I tiled it!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, joe90 said:

From your picture you have a depth by your slate threshold, draw a pic with dimensions.

Joe the 1830 slate threshold is 2", & I have 1" below it to the concrete floor.  Spot on 3".

As the frame is 70-1/4" H (to the plant on).. I actually do a tiny stoop to go in/ out, Im so used to it Ive only conked me noggin twice.

So the 3" is kinda 'in use' as a step-down-into porch, as well as a from it a step-into-house. I think.

The concrete floor is good & 'ok' flat, but for a dip-away along one side I can make up fine using/ building up more adhesive I'd say (& usefully, will be hidden under future prayer bench too.. RHS of house wood door, opposite front door/ porch upvc door).

Slate slab is 2-1/2" H in fact, 1/2" wear patch worn away over nearing 200 years.

2 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Joe the 1830 slate threshold is 2", & I have 1" below it to the concrete floor.  Spot on 3".

It does not matter if your new tiles are more than 1” as long as it’s no more than 3”. Get a few of those tiles, put a bit of carpet under them (to mimic adhesive) and see if it feels too high walking through your front door ?

7 minutes ago, joe90 said:

It does not matter if your new tiles are more than 1” as long as it’s no more than 3”. Get a few of those tiles, put a bit of carpet under them (to mimic adhesive) and see if it feels too high walking through your front door ?

Yup thats a good idea.. I was gonna do this, the carpets a good idea too. The tiles are 1 - 1/4" H in fact, so call them 1-1/2" with adhesive they will protrudue up into my slate by a bit.. its not such an easy decision this. Hmm..

01403A20-6B74-498A-99F0-F9BC40E0A227.jpeg

9BEB3922-1C51-4984-9A25-BEBD0C72F03E.jpeg

• Like 1

I think I'm not going with these 9x9's. They'll add too much height relative to my old slate step, If I kick myself once put on & I'm stooping to enter house or keep hitting me bonce.. I'll have bodged up badly.

Do I need any dedicated floor tiles then, or are wall & floor ones the same? I guess it might be a Q of putting weight on.. do they need to be thicker than std 1/4" or so wall tiles I wonder.

I am not a tiler but I would not put wall tiles on the floor!,!, don’t think they are made fir the weight (but may be wrong) . As I said before you won’t need many and you may find a few end of line that will do. Have you got a tile supplier near you?

Edited by joe90