Our house comes with its own wolf ...

ToughButterCup

Our Gaulhofer slider howls just like a wolf. Doesn't bite, just howls.

It's huge (3m or so), gorgeous, easy to move, everyone that sees it loves it, plays with it. Asks how much it cost. ?

It came with a free wolf; every time the wind blows from the South West it howls. It only does so if the window is closed over, but not shut (locked).

The window needs a baffle of some sort - perhaps like a finger protector. But this one needs to stick a sock down the wolf's maw.

Ideas?

Thank. 

Ian

3 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Sounds like it may need an adjustment.

Thanks for that: didn't know they could be adjusted. I'll get on to them. Air-tightness isn't an issue because it won't be tested in 'closed-but-not-shut' mode. 

The orientation of our house is such that it's open to the southwest, albeit protected somewhat by large mature trees 25 meters away. But we aren't tucked away in a convenient wind-free microclimate nook.

The window opens into a Winter Garden, and I'm almost sure its orientation contributes to windspeeds especially if they are coming from the southwest.  Bit like a funnel.

I'll give Craig  ( @craig ) a ring.

Yes @Ferdinand, she's going to put a large summat-or-other in the Winter Garden - so that the area will become more like a Kevin Mc-Wot's-Is-Name -type  breeze corridor.  

Ya daren't say that ( breeze corridor) out loud  in Lancashire. Get lynched.

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

Our conservatory “whines “ when the wind is in a particular direction, proving very difficult to locate the source, sounds odd.

Does it annoy your cat @joe90 ? Does ours ...

Edited by ToughButterCup

The problem is that the seal is broken because the door is open. So the handle is taken from pointing directly up to directly down, which engages the wheels and lifts the sash up. No locks engaged and the door can be slid open. It doesn't occur when the door is locked.

As it is on a South Westerly elevation and set back as well, wind is coming through the the gaps and the whistle effect is occurring and might even be more prominent because it is setback. It is only resolved by locking the door and engaging the locks, which engages the seal. 

As discussed with Ian just now, what can be done, is try and put a wind deflector on the frame, preventing the wind driving up the gaps when the door is physically open but not locked.

d013b526d9ed753882651db30d7f2fd0.png

46 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Thanks for that: didn't know they could be adjusted. I'll get on to them. Air-tightness isn't an issue because it won't be tested in 'closed-but-not-shut' mode. 

The orientation of our house is such that it's open to the southwest, albeit protected somewhat by large mature trees 25 meters away. But we aren't tucked away in a convenient wind-free microclimate nook.

The window opens into a Winter Garden, and I'm almost sure its orientation contributes to windspeeds especially if they are coming from the southwest.  Bit like a funnel.

I'll give Craig  ( @craig ) a ring.

Yes @Ferdinand, she's going to put a large summat-or-other in the Winter Garden - so that the area will become more like a Kevin Mc-Wot's-Is-Name -type  breeze corridor.  

Ya daren't say that ( breeze corridor) out loud  in Lancashire. Get lynched.

Does it annoy your cat @joe90 ? Does ours ...

Call it a Breeze Block, then.

Them there are called breeze blocks 'cos they leak so badly ? .

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Love that Ferd. That ain't you on a scooter is it ? ?

As far as I know it is also true, from the original use of perforated blocks to allow breezes in hot climes whilst providing a screen.

I'm coot anyway, but not so hairy.

I would not inflict a photo on you; during lockdown working through a bit of mum's flyaway hair shampoo - mine has all suddenly flown away standing on end and I look like a teasel.

• Haha 1