Party Wall Insurance JCT 6.5.1 Non-negligence

Hi all,

I've performed a quick search of the forum and can't find any reference to Party Wall insurance (also known as; JCT 6.5.1, JCT 22.2.1 or non-negligence insurance). I'm wondering if anyone on here has ever purchased it or knows anything about it? The summary of the insurance is that it covers damage caused to a neighbouring property as a result of works that are subject to the Party Wall Act.

Apparently public liability insurance doesn't cover this area unless negligence is proven. Whether this public liability insurance is enough in most cases, I don't know?

Thanks,

Andy

• 1 month later...

I am pretty much in a similar position and have the same understanding as you. Looks like the cover is to be under joint names (Contractor & Client) and is normally picked up by the Contractor to add (although we can organise it ourselves if we like..I think). 

I was planning on having a JCT Minor Works contract (with my Architect as the Contract Administrator) but it seems the non-negligence insurance piece is not mentioned there clearly (or I am blind). Seems to be mentioned in the JCT Standard, Design & Build, etc contracts. Just another thing to wrap my head around