RSJ and lighting centre of a room

Kilt

I wondered is there any options for installing lights in/around an rsj?

I was think LED strip or something like that,  recessed into first layer of PB, but tbh, it doesn’t need to be that powerful a light.

Just token really. 

Living Room is 4.4m x 5m and we’re going to have to under-sling an RsJ to stop some terrible deflection in bedroom and bathrooms above. 

We currently have 6 spots in the LR (2 rows of 3 spots) but the Rsj will take up the current position of spots, I plan to put 8 spots back in (4 rows of 2 spots). 

just worried rsj will cast a shadow down middle of room. 

Wouldn't it be better to fit two "L" beams in through the joists? That's what we did at our last house. Then you can have a flush ceiling - worst case you have to baton our the plasterboard 50mm.

Joists were cut, beams inserted and bolted, batons fitted to joists and ceiling fitted.

Screenshot_20201117-140804.png

Edited by Conor

Thanks for reply.. I’d love to, but It’s a money thing, however no ones mentioned L beams. Hmm.  

Running through joists we have 2 x soils, 2 x 2” wastes, 1 x MVHR and 90% of wiring for house. 

it’d mean a massive electrical rewire, and cutting soils to slot rsj in, then pop through rsj. 

SE suggested slotting an rsj in 3/4 into span, which would solve drainage issues, but we’d still need 4 rings and 2 light circuits cut. 
Plus joists are bananas, so cutting 3/4 doesn’t fix 1st floor bow. 
In bathroom, we have 35mm fall over 1.8m from wall to doorway. 

underslung rsj either in a goal-post or pad-stone seems to be easiest option. 
no rewiring, no joist cutting, levels 1st floor (by 10-20mm), no alterations to drainage, and only a loss of 150-200mm down centre of room. 

its not ideal, but Ceiling is 2400, so not horrific.