JCT minor or intermediate

cwr

Hi folks

I'm trying to determine if a JCT minor works or intermediate contract is most suitable for our self build.

House will be a relatively straightforward rendered block cavity wall construction, slate roof, nothing complex or unusual, 310m2.

We'll use a builder for most tho not all of the work to get us to final sign off.

So, any recommendations on which JCT contract to use? From what I've read elsewhere the minor works is possible as the build should be straight forward.

Thanks.

I don't think either of those contracts would be suitable for a "self build" as you really need a main contractor to undertake and be responsible for all the work and the work of subcontractors up to and post completion, insure the site, take possession of the site etc. The homeowner contracts might be more suitable for your purposes.

You can't be client and contract administrator for minor works as it relies on a third party intermediary to make decisions, if you were employer and contract administrator you would certainly have a conflict of interests in any decision making relating to extensions of time or additional costs!

OK, I hadn't looked into the homeowner contracts, though a quick look over the JCT website says they are 'suitable for small domestic building work, such as extensions and alterations'. So maybe not for a while house build?

Another option is the RIBA Domestic Building Contract. From what I have read I can be administrator, and its acceptable to our mortgage lender.

the issue you have is that you aren't commissioning someone to start and finish the project, you are only employing a series of sub contractors directly (and doing some of the work yourself) which lands you in a an uncomfortable space contractually, I think even the RIBA domestic one is set up for a main contractor.

It really comes down to exactly what is acceptable to your lender, they may want a quantity surveyor involved to value the works for drawdowns etc...

The other thing to think about is whether you are actually going to sue one of these people - having undertaken various litigation in the past for work I hardly think it likely due to the costs involved.

I now generally contract subbies by using Purchase Orders qualified to works (referenced to the quote), works to NHBC Technical Manual standards, specified amounts, payment intervals and payment times.  1 page and it's all there. If the worst came to the worse and I had to litigate then I would rather have that than a JCT or anything like it!

• 1 month later...
On 19/11/2020 at 17:50, Faz said:

The other thing to think about is whether you are actually going to sue one of these people - having undertaken various litigation in the past for work I hardly think it likely due to the costs involved.

I now generally contract subbies by using Purchase Orders qualified to works (referenced to the quote), works to NHBC Technical Manual standards, specified amounts, payment intervals and payment times.  1 page and it's all there. If the worst came to the worse and I had to litigate then I would rather have that than a JCT or anything like it!

Faz - did you just devise the PO yourself or is there a model wording somewhere? 

Did it myself - here is an example of one (the agreed costs go in another column) -

PURCHASE ORDER NR:        RH/PO/004                                                             DATE: //2020

DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES

AMOUNT

Plumbing and heating services with parts and labour included (unless as

Excluded below) as follows

Plot 1

Plot 2

Plot 3

Price excludes sanitaryware and brassware which are client supply items.

These items are to be called off at least 2 weeks before they are required.

Works to be completed in accordance with the NHBC Technical Manual    details can be found at https://nhbc-standards.co.uk/

Payment on 14 days of invoice in accordance with the attached payment

Schedule.

£7,496.69

£7,496.69

£14,553.37

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 17/11/2020 at 13:36, cwr said:

Hi folks

I'm trying to determine if a JCT minor works or intermediate contract is most suitable for our self build.

House will be a relatively straightforward rendered block cavity wall construction, slate roof, nothing complex or unusual, 310m2.

We'll use a builder for most tho not all of the work to get us to final sign off.

So, any recommendations on which JCT contract to use? From what I've read elsewhere the minor works is possible as the build should be straight forward.

Thanks.

Hi there!

We're at the start of our self build and wonder if you went ahead with JCT MW contract for yours - if so did it go OK?

Thanks 🙂