The on & on & ensuite saga..

Onoff

26 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Yes. See the picture below, this bolt goes through a nut on the other side.

Tightened equally. Hopefully it's not the big washer on the main flush mechanism.

The studs go through the cistern. My money's on it being this:

IMG_20201129_200052388

Could be anything, the pan/cistern has sat in the garage for years.

(Given me loads more space now (in the garage). I now have room atop the freebie Bosch integrated fridge for even more cr@p! ?)

To test the seal of those 2 bolts, place the cistern on a stand of some sort away from the pan, and fill it with water from a bucket and see if they drip.

If the don't then it will be the donut leaking.

Just now, ProDave said:

To test the seal of those 2 bolts, place the cistern on a stand of some sort away from the pan, and fill it with water from a bucket and see if they drip.

If the don't then it will be the donut leaking.

Yep that's the plan. Taking it off in a mo after a tea break.

Could the water be passing through the thread of the bolt - its common with basin wastes - the washer seals the nut against the basin but nothing seals the thread.

Try PTFE tape on the thread of the bolts - or better still fit another robber washer between the metal washer and the top of the bolt.

Edited by wozza

From what I can make out there's two leak points.

There's a drip on the end of the LHS bolt. Also coming down the threads of the big, centre, plastic flush assembly.

I'll back off tomorrow and reseal. Thinking CT1 on the steel bolts where they pass through the cistern and then Jet Blue Plus on the thread of the plastic. Doesn't appear to be any tracking across the underside of the cistern. I'll do the other bolt too. Poor photo:

IMG_20201130_240545003.thumb.jpg.d5bd55ca46f79059fd152afbf1f7534e.jpg

Geberit it ain't!

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, PeterW said:

Assuming there is a rubber cone washer on the bolt, pull it out and dry off and full with CT1 then bed it down onto the cistern as they leak down the middle of the rubber cones. 

So you reckon in effect stick the cistern to pan? Don't know about that... it'll never come apart thereafter.

Thinking to just take the nuts and bolts out then reassemble with CT1 on the threads, under washers etc. 

Just not sure whether to let it dry for a day before fitting to the pan?

Exactly as @PeterW said:

IMG_20201130_172559458

A good squidge of CT1 between the top washer and rubber cone. Then more CT1 and push it through the hole. Yet more from the other side then the washers and nut.

IMG_20201130_173001578

IMG_20201130_173217701

All baby wiped off and left to set. Seemed to centre nicely at 160mm (the pan hole centres).

It was definitely leaking down the threads of the flush assembly. Getting the plastic nut off needed a bfo pair of Stilsons.

Thinking to reassemble that with lashings of Jet Blue Plus? It'll make it easier for later replacement etc.

IMG_20201130_174851605.thumb.jpg.03bbba54939be663240eb0f82c7c6d26.jpg

57 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That flush would be getting the CT1 treatment also ... Mouldings like that are never concentric. 

But if the flush ever goes wrong it's a bin job surely?

Saying that it'd be easy enough to cut it out I guess...

Edited by Onoff

Just now, PeterW said:

Nah - you can spin that off.. and besides you said this was temporary so we are expecting that lot out after Christmas !! 

Took a pair of Stilsons to get it off dry as I said. CT1 is is then. 

?...you have to put a year!

Bolt fixings, flush pipe and inlet all CT1'd. The bolt fixing, rubber washers are a bit deformed but hey ho, too late now. I'll fill in the morning and if no leaks when I get home get it fitted and the copper feed connected.

IMG_20201130_234942468.thumb.jpg.b22b92d72d51bdb8e9155f66556c5eb6.jpg

IMG_20201130_234953920.thumb.jpg.ca978bab739c5ebb4d568b5ae8aa724f.jpg

One piece bit of copper:

IMG_20201201_180010548.thumb.jpg.3e129d42a66a685356a9cfc4479be15d.jpg

In:

IMG_20201201_192818482.thumb.jpg.6d516b5f1075193f89a0fee517cd1269.jpg

(The water marks are from roof leaks).

I suppose I should consider myself lucky SWMBO's not fussy...

IMG_20201201_210624587.thumb.jpg.d6553eb156fa08f9058a5592c4245685.jpg

(Ditto the stains under the window. The detailing round that is dire outside).

Take the shower apart next I suppose...

• 1 month later...

SWMBO's wanting the old en suite shower working again as it's so bloody cold in the main bathroom sans heating! 

First thing is shift all the tools I've got stored in there. Can't see the issue myself! ?

Knocked up a couple of shelf units that'll take the upcycled oil containers. They'll either stand upright or attach horizontally to the rafters in the garage. Scored some freebie ply strips pre cut at 220mm.  A sanding and some wood stain will make it a bit prettier. 

IMG_20210105_234051106_HDR.thumb.jpg.da34875fb737f4671d40b1fc46e21376.jpg

...and back to the en suite! ?

Edited by Onoff
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

SWMBO's wanting the old en suite shower working again as it's so bloody cold in the main bathroom sans heating! 

First thing is shift all the tools I've got stored in there. Can't see the issue myself! ?

Knocked up a couple of shelf units that'll take the upcycled oil containers. They'll either stand upright or attach horizontally to the rafters in the garage. Scored some freebie ply strips pre cut at 220mm.  A sanding and some wood stain will make it a bit prettier. 

IMG_20210105_234051106_HDR.thumb.jpg.da34875fb737f4671d40b1fc46e21376.jpg

...and back to the en suite! ?

Brrrrrrrr ; cold in this bathroom ?

Have I missed something, what's stopping connecting the heating in main bathroom?

I've got a temporary setup on my extension running the nabifold through Flexi hoses just to take the chill off, but it's capable of proper heat If I wanted.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JFDIY said:

Have I missed something, what's stopping connecting the heating in main bathroom?

I've got a temporary setup on my extension running the nabifold through Flexi hoses just to take the chill off, but it's capable of proper heat If I wanted.

Shhhh @Onoff hasn’t told SWMBO he can do that ...

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Bloody handy I never got round to gutting the en suite. I'm going to be living in our bedroom on my own for the next however long whilst Covid takes its course and until I test negative. 

Clearly, it pays to delay!

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Bloody handy I never got round to gutting the en suite. I'm going to be living in our bedroom on my own for the next however long whilst Covid takes its course and until I test negative. 

Clearly, it pays to delay!

Thought this thread was closed down due to lack of activity. Glad to see it’s been resurrected yet still no work will commence.