How long to get Agreement in Principle...?

billy_bob_2020

Hello all,

Just wondering about people's experiences of time taken to get to agreement in principle on a self build mortgage...?

A plot has come up but the deadline is in two weeks. I think they have deliberately given a very short window in order to deter anyone who is not a cash buyer.

Is there any chance of getting my mortgage sorted in that time? Or does it generally take much longer?

Many thanks

2 hours ago, billy_bob_2020 said:

plot has come up but the deadline is in two weeks. I think they have deliberately given a very short window in order to deter anyone who is not a cash buyer.

What is wrong with it ..??

You will struggle to get searches done in that time, sounds like they are hiding something as you cannot complete on a sale in 2 weeks anyway as solicitors don’t work that quick. Even auctions that have a full legal pack take 4 weeks  to complete minimum. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

It has full planning permission and has had all environmental surveys etc done.

The estate agents are just saying they will not accept an offer unless I can prove I have the finances in place and they are expecting it to go to a cash buyer.

The self build mortgage companies I spoke to said I have to have full building regulation drawings done before they can even give an agreement in principle.

3 minutes ago, billy_bob_2020 said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

It has full planning permission and has had all environmental surveys etc done.

The estate agents are just saying they will not accept an offer unless I can prove I have the finances in place and they are expecting it to go to a cash buyer.

The self build mortgage companies I spoke to said I have to have full building regulation drawings done before they can even give an agreement in principle.

Yes basically they are telling you to buy the plot before coming to them for a mortgage 

14 minutes ago, billy_bob_2020 said:

Building Regs or Planning Permission ..? Not seen a request for BRegs drawings before ..?

4 minutes ago, billy_bob_2020 said:

It was a conversation with the advisor at The Melton BS. She said they needed to see a full set of building plans.

Yes they need to see the planning permission floor plans and elevations. They also want to see a set of costings and a breakdown on stages. 

(I know this as a client has their self build mortgage with MBS)

7 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

You normally need cash to buy a plot.

That's what it is looking like to me.

The self build mortgages say they will lend 80% on the plot value but I can't see how you would ever be able to produce the information they require in time to purchase a plot on the open market.