ordering concrete for small scale garden wall footings

Hi everyone,

lets say im filling in a 32 foot long x 2 ft wide x 0.5 ft high footing. do concrete firms go by cubic yard or cubic metre? also if i wanted to find out how many bags of sand, course aggregate and cement needed, how could i calculate this? assuming they come in 25kg bags? or is there another better way?

many thanks for taking the time reply

2 hours ago, brickierob1 said:

Hi everyone,

lets say im filling in a 32 foot long x 2 ft wide x 0.5 ft high footing. do concrete firms go by cubic yard or cubic metre? also if i wanted to find out how many bags of sand, course aggregate and cement needed, how could i calculate this? assuming they come in 25kg bags? or is there another better way?

Why not just use this for the concrete?

https://www.cemex.co.uk/concretecalculator.aspx

There are other calculators out there.

Are you a brickie?

2 hours ago, brickierob1 said:

Hi everyone,

You would need 0.904m3

Which would be 289kg cement, 542Kg sand, 1084Kg aggregate.

12 x 25Kg bags cement

22  x 25Kg bags of sharp (note B&Q/merchant etc. bags are NOT 25Kg).

44 x 25Kg bags aggregate (note as above)

Or get 2 builders bags of all in one and 12 x 25Kg bags of cement which around here would cost £100 and a sore back.

My spot mix man is bringing me about 1 cube in a couple of weeks and he will take £150 for first cube and £80 per cube thereafter - I am happy to pay the extra £50 given it will take all in all less than 1 hour, his guys barrow it to the areas I need it and they will vibrate it in, tamp it, level it and I will float it an hour or so later!

Edited by Carrerahill

@brickierob1 if your a trainee bricky why are you measuring in feet and inches. 

All plans and drawings will be in metres. 

Concrete comes by the metre

bricks are all metric. 

Re measure in m and calculate the volume. 

Then get a mix on site truck to mix and you barrow. 

No money to be made mixing it yourself, just a bad back. 

Mixed on site and in the trench in an hour. 

Done. 

Hey guys thanks for taking the time to reply to my question, so 5 years ago, I became a quilified bricklayer, but decided to change career. So I'm trying to get back in the game, I'm pretty much trying to go from bricklaying on site to starting out on my own. So any help I can get, will always be appreciated. Thanks again

• Like 1