New member trying to figure out ufh ?

CBKEEF

Hi all,

Trying to figure out the best option for ufh in our new extention incorporating existing kitchen area etc. (I’ll attach the plans) 

I can’t figure out,

A: is it best to clip onto foilbacked board in between joist and biscuit screed/cover with chipboard? 

B: lay routed panel boards and tile straight on top? 

I don’t really like the idea of tiling straight on top of the pipe as In “B” but will I feel the benefit and will we get enough heat from option “A”? 

the boiler is going into the utility, would like two zones, one for the main living space/kitchen and the other for the shower room. 

it’s a mine field, any help and guidance would be much appreciated. Also any other systems/options that would work? 

Best, Keith. 

GROUND FLOOR.pdf STRUCTURE 1.pdf

The two most most important things are

Depth of insulation under the UFH - How much can you fit? How deep are the joists? 

Enough coverage - If you have a room with a lot of glass (high heat loss) and kitchen units (reducing area with UFH) then the amount of power delivered from floor to room might be inadequate. Perhaps work out the power based on 65-85 W/m^2. 

PS Don't put UFH under the fridge/freezer

1 hour ago, CBKEEF said:

A: is it best to clip onto foilbacked board in between joist and biscuit screed/cover with chipboard? 

B: lay routed panel boards and tile straight on top? 

A: Plywood is better than chipboard. Two layers of ply with staggered joints even better. Remember it must be rigid to tile onto. The wood should also be sealed.

B: Presumably you mean..

Tiles

Routed board with UFH

Chipboard/Ply

Insulation between Joists

59 minutes ago, Temp said:

The two most most important things are

Depth of insulation under the UFH - How much can you fit? How deep are the joists? 

Enough coverage - If you have a room with a lot of glass (high heat loss) and kitchen units (reducing area with UFH) then the amount of power delivered from floor to room might be inadequate. Perhaps work out the power based on 65-85 W/m^2. 

PS Don't put UFH under the fridge/freezer

Hi Temp

thanks for the responses. 
the insulation between the joists is king span with 25mm space to the top of joist. This can be adjusted tho if needed. 
All pipe is going to be laid in the outline of the kitchen units so nothing under any of them etc. 
I was more concerned about getting as much heat through the layers as possible and rightly or wrongly assumed a biscuit screed would be the best way to approach with heat retention and even spread etc. 

59 minutes ago, Temp said:

A: Plywood is better than chipboard. Two layers of ply with staggered joints even better. Remember it must be rigid to tile onto. The wood should also be sealed.

B: Presumably you mean..

Tiles

Routed board with UFH

Chipboard/Ply

Insulation between Joists

Yes B would be 

tile

routed board 

ply/chip

joist etc. 

I don’t know how sensible tiling straight onto the routed board is?