Show me your kitchen sinks!

Mandana

Struggling to find a sink we like.

We’re finding showrooms really don’t have a great choice and they rely seem to rely on brochures. 

Please show me your kitchen sink and tell me why you chose that particular one, and are you happy with it?

Preferably under-mount. 

Thanks very much! 

Here is mine

Bare sink being offered up for size

kitchen_sink.thumb.jpg.8b97b101febf17ddd9361fb521521898.jpg

And all finished mounted in the granite

stone_worktop_1.thumb.jpg.a2bd93c9d1c79104aefc64f0801f64fd.jpg

It's a Lamona sink from Howdens.

I preferred this one that had the half bowl the same depth as the full bowl, so you just have a rectangular hole in the worktop.

That's also a Lamona boiling water tap also from Howdens.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

No.  It's got a matt brushed finish that seems to resist scratches showing, unlike some "shiny" SS sinks.

That’s great. Thank you!

We've seen a Blanco SS sink we like but I was worried about scratches. Was thinking of composite but will consider SS now you’ve reassured me. 

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

Don’t forget if you get a brushed stainless sink you can just take a 120 grit flex sanding pad and some soapy water and any scratches can soon be made to “disappear”. 

That’s interesting! Thanks Peter. Will remember that tip ?

56 minutes ago, Mandana said:

Not heard of Schock. Will look them up, thanks. Are you happy with them? What width is the smaller sink? 200/250? 

Yes we are happy, had a lot of good comments. The smaller sink is 160mm internal width and is called a half sink or N50 and the larger sink is called a three quarter sink or N75. We didn't want a full size sink as we don't do washing up etc. Schock produce a very large range of different styles and sizes.

5 hours ago, Conor said:

Don't have a sink yet, but going to get a local company to make a smaller version of this:

IMG-20201018-WA0002.jpg

That is quite literally the Buck Rogers of sinks. Do you have any more info on it's constuction? One big trough?

• Like 2

We have a Caple 3415 sink. 

https://www.caple.co.uk/products/sinks-taps-2/sinks/stainless-steel-sinks/mode3415/

Small side to drain things into if you have a bowl of water already run.  Fairly small kitchen sink though as not planning on washing up in the kitchen very often.   Takes up less worktop space.  Perfect size for what we need it for.

Larger sink (Ikea) in the utility room for large oven trays and muddy trainers and handwashing.

No photos in-situ as I would have to clean it first!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dpmiller said:

who and roughly how much? PM if youu want...

Kitchen guy is looking in to it. We're thinking a 800mm-1000mm long sink will be about £400-£500

17 hours ago, patp said:

Very interesting! Do you think that it could be made to be a little closer to the front of the unit. I find sinks very difficult to access due to being five foot nothing :(

I think the issue would be the sink needs a certain amount of structure to be bonded to.

When getting your kitchen build, get it without feet and kickboards so it's 100mm or so lower than standard. 

18 hours ago, Tom said:

That is quite literally the Buck Rogers of sinks. Do you have any more info on it's constuction? One big trough?

One trough, with two ledges welded to the sides- one near the bottom for false bottom, and the upper one to take chopping boards, drainers etc.

Material wise, we think it'll have to be made from heavy guage commercial kitchen grade stainless steel. I'll be speaking to a couple companies that make sinks and fryers and full commercial kitchens soon.

23 hours ago, dpmiller said:

who and roughly how much? PM if youu want...

Rangemaster Atlantic Kube

It has been in use for 5 years. The right hand side is the sink we use, the left hand side normally has a draining basket so most of the surface is much less scratched to give you a good comparison 

A7DF2835-38C3-492A-B745-359072A31FEF.jpeg

EA4D83C5-0D77-4896-9C6F-D317513341D2.jpeg

2DC11A3E-F8F8-4F27-B8C1-A512B3152881.jpeg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Conor said:

Kitchen guy is looking in to it. We're thinking a 800mm-1000mm long sink will be about £400-£500

I think the issue would be the sink needs a certain amount of structure to be bonded to.

When getting your kitchen build, get it without feet and kickboards so it's 100mm or so lower than standard. 

One trough, with two ledges welded to the sides- one near the bottom for false bottom, and the upper one to take chopping boards, drainers etc.

Material wise, we think it'll have to be made from heavy guage commercial kitchen grade stainless steel. I'll be speaking to a couple companies that make sinks and fryers and full commercial kitchens soon.

Why not just bond a commercial, st/st wash trough to the underside of your counter top? Any upstand you don't want just zing off with a slitting disc and dress with a flap disc. 

https://www.washwareessentials.co.uk/wash-troughs?

Edited by Onoff

On 15/11/2020 at 08:02, Conor said:

Don't have a sink yet, but going to get a local company to make a smaller version of this:

IMG-20201018-WA0002.jpg

A (Californian) friend  has something like this, custom made, in her kitchen. The dedicated veg washing station is her favourite bit, but a trick she used is rather than the (double!) hose tap she used a 'pot filler' tap that can also reach over the hob. This means the largest cauldron pots can be placed on the hob and filled up in-situ, rather than having to heft it into place post-filling. 

Something like this:

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/kitchen-faucet-single-handle-one-hole-electroplated-pot-filler-centerset-contemporary-kitchen-taps_p7889165.html?prm=1.3.0.6

That is fine for a gas hob, but with the modern trend in induction electric hobs it feels a little dodgy. Obviously the hob surface has to be waterproof whatever.

2 hours ago, daiking said:

Rangemaster Atlantic Kube

It has been in use for 5 years. The right hand side is the sink we use, the left hand side normally has a draining basket so most of the surface is much less scratched to give you a good comparison 

A7DF2835-38C3-492A-B745-359072A31FEF.jpeg

EA4D83C5-0D77-4896-9C6F-D317513341D2.jpeg

2DC11A3E-F8F8-4F27-B8C1-A512B3152881.jpeg

Ah, see now I love the size of those sinks but not the scratches ?