Conservatory too hot and leaking

I have a couple of problems with my conservatory:

1. The roof is leaking
  2. It is completely transparent, letting the sun in, and getting too hot especially in the summer

My questions:

1. What is the best option to tackle the above?
  2. How much would it cost?
  3. Would it be advisable to hire a professional or can it be done on my own?

conservatory.jpg

Leaks could be from anywhere - how old is the conservatory roof ..? Usual issue with glass roof panels is they creep on the seals when they get hot, so you can carefully remove the outer glass retaining trims, lift out the units and replace the seals and then reinstall the units. It’s no worse than replacing double glazing in a window, and if you take your time it’s a nice job to do. 

In terms of overheating, you are limited to blinds or replacing the glazing with a solar glaze type coating, or a self adhesive solar film. The latter can be done when you take the units out to replace the seals. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, these are great hints. I don't know how old the conservatory is, however, it looks very new, and I don't think it's older than 5-10 years.

I observed the conservatory during the last rain, and it leaks in three places. It leaks in one of the sealing planks. It also leaks in the two corners that connect the conservatory with the building. While looking at the latter leakage I realised a somehow more severe problem. The rain gutter is leaking water into the wall, which then creeps into the conservatory.

I think fixing the rain gutter is a more urgent problem because having water falling into the wall could damage the wall as well. I have a bit of acrophobia so I am not sure I am up for the task to fix/replace the rain gutters. On the other hand, I don't have too much trust to professionals either, because, they usually don't care much, which means hiring the wrong professional could make the problem even worse.

For the conservatory leakage, I will follow the above advice and re-apply the sealings.

To reduce overheating, I will install roof and side blinds: https://www.247blinds.co.uk/conservatory-blinds I like the option of the transparent roof, as it gives a very romantic view, especially during the night.

10 minutes ago, g000444555 said:

On the other hand, I don't have too much trust to professionals either, because, they usually don't care much,

there are good trades people out there, it’s just the bad ones that get all the press. Go on social media and ask for recomendations.

On 14/11/2020 at 13:44, g000444555 said:

I have a couple of problems with my conservatory:

1. The roof is leaking
  2. It is completely transparent, letting the sun in, and getting too hot especially in the summer

My questions:

1. What is the best option to tackle the above?
  2. How much would it cost?
  3. Would it be advisable to hire a professional or can it be done on my own?

Let me re-phase that for you: 

"All conservatories are problems.

1. They all leak.
  2. Being made of glass the solar gain is so high they are a waste of space in the summer unless you want to cause yourself to get heatstroke."

Seriously though they are a big pest, only high end ones (Pilkington Insulite glass etc.) that are not cobbled together by doubleglazing installers are any good, i.e. the oak framed ones with ventilation and proper spec'ed glass etc.

We demolished ours, it was only 5 years old when we took it down, (previous owner installed it) it was just a mess - I could not even give it away! It cost £15,000 when built.

Best option, remove and replace with a proper extension.

Next option is the lightweight roofing options people go for, I personally do not like them, basically you cover the glass internally with insulation then plasterboard it, the structural integrity is questionable, no, actually, it is worse than that, it is really not safe. We had a firm out here when we first moved in and were still naive in thinking it could be made to work for us. They talked us through the process and £5K price tag (I never had any intention on going with them as I would do it better myself but they were knocking on doors!) and frankly the whole weight was being added to the existing structure, I asked how they felt about the loading and they said they could "borrow" some snow loading - well I asked them what happened when it snowed... Silence followed by a pathetic line about reduced snow in UK!

If I was confronted with a conservatory again that I was going to opt to keep I would probably add in more walls by removing some windows, make it more of a bright room and remove the roof and replace with a solid roof with some big windows. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

All conservatories are problems.

I beg to differ, mine has solar glass and enough windows fir ventilation. It does not leak. It faces due South and yes it can get a bit hot during the odd hot spell (but no hotter than a foreign holiday that you pay fir!,!) but is a godsend in the shoulder months and often heats the house for us by using bifolds. Even during winter on a cloudless day it can be quite pleasant. I would not be without it!.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I beg to differ, mine has solar glass and enough windows fir ventilation. It does not leak. It faces due South and yes it can get a bit hot during the odd hot spell (but no hotter than a foreign holiday that you pay fir!,!) but is a godsend in the shoulder months and often heats the house for us by using bifolds. Even during winter on a cloudless day it can be quite pleasant. I would not be without it!.

You need to read my post in conjunction with my caveat to be fair. I know that good, well built ones can be good, but they are few and far between.

As I said above:

"Seriously though they are a big pest, only high end ones (Pilkington Insulite glass etc.) that are not cobbled together by doubleglazing installers are any good, i.e. the oak framed ones with ventilation and proper spec'ed glass etc."

I don't think the concept of the conservatory has flaws in itself, rather, the flaws look more like the result of poor installation. And I have heard it before that most conservatories have problems, however, this is likely the consequence of hiring incompetent installers. I can easily see the conservatory becoming my absolute favourite part of the house, as long as the flaws are fixed. I am also thinking to add a drain on the floor and cover the floor with tiles, as opposite to the current wood-like flooring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1