UFH systems, red cap flow meters

Kastro

Hello guys, 

I have searched google but I could not find an answer in my attempts to find out why the red cap flow meters of UFH systems are always fixed on top of the manifold, and the actuators are placed below. Could anyone explain, is there a specific reason why is it so? Is it allowed to fix them contrary, and would that have any negative consequence??

Thank you for your answers.

Pressure in the bottom manifold from water being pushed round the loops from the top manifold keeps the actuators closed on the loops not in use and also helps them to close down if they are the wax actuator type. If they were the other way round then flow pressure would pull water past the actuator. The flow gauges also rely on a “pull” flow around the gauge which needs the water to flow past the base of the gauge itself which you wouldn’t get if it was reversed. 

• Thanks 1

On 14/11/2020 at 17:06, Kastro said:

PeterW, thank you so much for clarifying it to me. I'm not sure if in my case, depending on the type of manifold, reverse order affects the operation. I'm attaching the link and an image of the manifold so that you can see for yourself. http://m.tiemme.com/eng/3873by_prodotti-det_34011.php

3873BY.jpg

If that arrangement is fitted to the manufacturers recommended pump and blending set then it shouldn't matter, as the supplied complete kit will be designed fit for purpose.

FYI those manifold rails simply unclip from the centre clamps, and you can swap them over in minutes.

Reverse operation will be full of faults, including flow gauge paddles pulled into the closed position, actuators hammering themselves shut, and more. Get it sorted !!

Edited by Nickfromwales