'Push' dimmer vs 1-10v dimmer

NeilScotland

Hi All,

I'm having a rather difficult conversation with my electrician (he speaks Dutch and not great English, I speak English and not great Dutch).....

So, I was asking for the final cost of the work he will finish soon. He said:

• It's EUR xxx. This is with 3 push dimmers....If I have to use 1-10 volt dimmers the  price will be +EUR 150

This was via whatsapp. However we had a conversation in person the other day when he was wiring (it's in a new extension we have) where he was explaining to me, not very well - how he had wired things up. And I think it's wired for everything but phase dimming. But he said it could be... (first point of my confusion). 

Of course, we have ordered phase dimming drivers for our lights. 

Anywaaaaay..... can someone explain to me what he might be referring to when he says: I hope the drivers are prepared for 1-10volt and push dim( most are). With push dimmers Total EURxxx. If the driver is only 1-10volt then xxx +150

I think I just want to know what might be an extra 150 - is it a physical difference in the dimmer switch or something else?

Also, any guidance on what might be best for my lights would be appreciated - I have no clue! phase, Dali or 1-10v - I really don't know what is best. (They are all LED). But I seemingly have all options and I think he told me 1-10v is best. Have asked the lighting company if I can switch my order to 1-10v drivers. 

Hope this make sense. thank you very much, 

Neil 

Oh, and if there can be any clue from the attached pic to the wiring..... 

2FF3EA65-BEB0-4ECD-8114-13BAFC3D3D84.JPG

66E6337D-1D08-4781-9F7E-8D246283CF71.JPG

CA2A4FD8-E40F-4CD3-96E2-509B1F6C8E4F.JPG

Edited by NeilScotland

This is not in Scotland is it?  Not a wiring system I recognise.

1-10V dimmers have as the name suggests a 1-10V output that connects to a driver somewhere.

The alternative is mains powered LED dimmers, mains in, mains straight out to the lights.  That would be my choice unless you are using a home automation system.

Whether they are push or rotary is a different question.

• Like 1

No no, im in Amsterdam - originally from Scotland.... 
I just can't seem to understand exactly what he is saying to me and what the difference in 150 is actually for....... 

The lights need drivers, no matter what, I know that much. but there are three choices of drivers. Phase, 1-10v, DALI. 

thanks for reply. 

DALI/PUSH/1-10V dimming: What’s the difference and which to choose?..

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/11/11/21559929/ring-video-doorbell-2nd-gen-fire-concerns-recall-hazard-screws-installation

0–10V, DALI AND OTHER LIGHTING CONTROL SYSTEM PROTOCOLS COMPARED

https://www.cmd-ltd.com/advice-centre/lighting-control-systems/0-10v-dali-and-other-lighting-control-system-protocols-compared/

I'd avoid Push dimming.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 2