Tips on reviewing roof truss design

1 minute ago, Dave Jones said:

truss company was one of the easier suppliers to deal with I found.  You give them the plan they provide you the truss and fixings to make it work to the drawing and calcs they have  done for building control.

It has been very smooth and I've enjoyed working with the designer, but I'm hoping it hasn't been too easy and I've forgotten something.

26 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

You may have forgotten a loft hatch (cough cough)

thanks for the tip! just checked my roof truss plans and the loft hatches have been accommodated, but I hadn't previously checked so is a great tip.

39 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

You can get attic trusses with EasyJoist bottom chords so you can run services through them.  You cannot otherwise drill any part of them without written agreement from the designer.

That's worth knowing. I was presuming there was a diameter of hole (e.g. 25mm) that as long as drilled in the middle of the joist was OK

1 minute ago, MortarThePoint said:

That's worth knowing. I was presuming there was a diameter of hole (e.g. 25mm) that as long as drilled in the middle of the joist was OK

Bottom cord is in tension so the whole cross section of material is loaded.

Central holes are fine on joists and beams subject to bending stresses are fine because the top third (ish) is in compression, lower third in tension and the central area is only keeping the tension and compression areas apart.

• 2 weeks later...

As yours are attic trusses, what do you propose to put in your loft?, are the designers aware of what you propose goes up there and worked the loading adequately? If it’s Christmas decorations and empty suitcases it won’t be a problem but 40 years worth of beano comics ?

Edited by joe90

54 minutes ago, joe90 said:

As yours are attic trusses, what do you propose to put in your loft?, are the designers aware of what you propose goes up there and worked the loading adequately? If it’s Christmas decorations and empty suitcases it won’t be a problem but 40 years worth of beano comics ?

I kept on seeing the symbol below on almost all the trusses and wasn't sure what it was so asked. It's a water tank and the truss designer has allowed for that load on pretty much all trusses that don't have specified dead/live loads. So as long as 40 years of Beano comics weight less than 230kg I'm OK.

image.png.b296c4a52afcfbeebcee15d641698d13.png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

To be competitive truss designers spec to minimum industry standards. You could always challenge them and say for an extra £200 which part of the design would you re-spec to the next timber size up.  

I had a similar discussion. The top chords were 197mm and I asked if we should increase them he said it wasn't worth it. I then realised I needed the rafter depth for insulation anyway.

4 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

I had a similar discussion. The top chords were 197mm and I asked if we should increase them he said it wasn't worth it. I then realised I needed the rafter depth for insulation anyway.

we're having 197mm top chords, I'm just going to fill with insulation (obviously leaving the 50mm gap) and then put PIR on the inside against the chords. I believe that's a pretty standard way of doing it? means don't need to pay for thicker trusses.

1 minute ago, Thorfun said:

we're having 197mm top chords, I'm just going to fill with insulation (obviously leaving the 50mm gap) and then put PIR on the inside against the chords. I believe that's a pretty standard way of doing it? means don't need to pay for thicker trusses.

Good plan. That greatly reduces the top chord cold bridge as well.

• Like 1

Check that the lowest corner of the truss eave won't clash with your scaffolding. They will come cut off simply even if you intend to add a horizontal cut. That means they extend down further at first. I've just been out in the dark checking I have the height and thankfully I do ?. Could be cut during installation, but that wouldn't be fun.

image.png.b4f7003e31f2d5df861760a57e88c9ac.png

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

When discussing loading with my truss designer I expressed my disappoint with the low kg figure and replied "no that is your allowance for floor material weight per m2". He then quoted another larger number for storage load per m2. His final comment was that in practice it is archived paperwork stored in attics that concern him the most.