Damp - water splashing from road

OscarWilliams

I live in an old house which part of backs onto a busy main road, there is no pavement - it is literally a road and then one of my walls. Its bare brick with lime joints, the road has become busier over the last ten years and the condition of the brickwork and dampness has become worse and worse.

So far I've been against putting a membrane on the wall as it will be hard to get a good seal and water getting behind it may make it worse (I could be wrong). I Was thinking maybe some black Proplex sheets sealed the edges.

Any ideas?

Any work I do on it will have to be at 6am on a sunday morning to avoid being hit by traffic so any solutions can't take too long to complete.

Many thanks

Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 08.12.36.png

Edited by OscarWilliams

Spray the wall with Thompson’s Water Seal or similar, but you need to get the soil and vegetation away from the wall as that will be causing more damage than the water as roots will break up the join between tarmac and the wall. I have a similar wall and we spray for weeds once a month from March - October. 

• Like 1

Thinking aloud, I was wondering if rather than treating the wall directly you might be better off creating an 'air gap' (eg a fence) of some sort? This could be attached to the wall for stability  but otherwise not become any part of it.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 08:21, PeterW said:

Spray the wall with Thompson’s Water Seal or similar, but you need to get the soil and vegetation away from the wall as that will be causing more damage than the water as roots will break up the join between tarmac and the wall. I have a similar wall and we spray for weeds once a month from March - October. 

Thank you, I've bought some...keen to see if it helps

Edited by OscarWilliams