Change to plans

Leanne36

Hi,

we are currently having 2 lots of building work completed and the builder has suggested a change in the roof.

We have extended above the garage which has followed planning permission plans exactly.

We are now knocking down the current conservatory and rebuilding as brick at the rear. We know this didn’t need planning permission but the council suggested putting it on the application so we only paid one fee.

initially the roof was going to be Sloping away from the house but to gain more space, our builder has suggested changing it to a pitched roof. Still single storey. Can we do this without altering the planning permission/ applying again?

On the plans, it says the measurements will be 2.7m x6.5m. Can we also change these slightly to gain more space - 3.5m x 6.2m?

Thank you!

Any variation to the Planning approved drawings should go through the formal channels and re-approval process. Your architect/designer should be able to advise on the best way to deal with the changes as there are different types of applications, timescales and fees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. I thought that was the case but our builder was suggesting that we didn’t need to as it is within Permitted development rights. I have contacted the council today though to ask which amendment document I need to complete as I don’t want them to tell us to pull it down in a few months/ years!

That’s the reason why builders are builders and should only advise on builders’ items.

As you mentioned the complete proposals are included on the one (formal) application, then any changes do require a formal approval process. If this was treated separately as PD, then that’s a slightly different story.

• Thanks 1

Amendments can normally be dealt with via three ways... Non-material amendment, Variation of Condition (Section 73) or a revised application. Due to the changes you’re proposing, I don’t think the LPA would consider a NMA application as they don’t appear to be ‘minor’ although there is no statutory definition across LPA’s and is on a case by case basis. So your two options may well be a VoC or revised HH (Householder) application. Both those two applications can take up to 8 weeks to be determined. You’d have to pay an application fee for a VoC application and you may be entitled to a free go for the revised HH application, providing you and the application meets the exemption criteria.

Edited by DevilDamo

On 12/11/2020 at 07:12, Leanne36 said:

initially the roof was going to be Sloping away from the house but to gain more space, our builder has suggested changing it to a pitched roof. Still single storey. Can we do this without altering the planning permission/ applying again?

On the plans, it says the measurements will be 2.7m x6.5m. Can we also change these slightly to gain more space - 3.5m x 6.2m?

Not so much of a PD/Planning issue but make sure you can actually get the pitch in that he is proposing. A 22.5 degree pitch roof will rise up 1.5m over half your span which is higher than a first floor window ledge when you consider a standard 2.4m internal wall height. Check this new pitch will not encroach on upstairs windows 

Also consider the light in the rooms behind - conservatory conversions are notorious for making the rooms behind dark. Have you allowed for a couple of roof lights or similar in the new roof...??

5 hours ago, Leanne36 said:

I assume that the planning permission supersedes any permitted development rights though?

Not necessarily. However, it’s quite rare to have the option of further extending under PD once you have already extended as it would take you beyond the PD limitations. Where properties have specific protection status, i.e. Green Belt, LPA’s do look to withdraw PD rights once formal Planning has been approved.

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

Not so much of a PD/Planning issue but make sure you can actually get the pitch in that he is proposing. A 22.5 degree pitch roof will rise up 1.5m over half your span which is higher than a first floor window ledge when you consider a standard 2.4m internal wall height. Check this new pitch will not encroach on upstairs windows 

Also consider the light in the rooms behind - conservatory conversions are notorious for making the rooms behind dark. Have you allowed for a couple of roof lights or similar in the new roof...??

Thanks for the advice. We are knocking through to the dining room/ kitchen to make it open plan. There will be roof lights to make sure there’s plenty of light.

The pitched roof has all been measured out outside and it all fits!

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

Can I check as well, what do you mean by not much of a planning/ permitted development issue? Do you think we’ll have no problems Changing? 

7 hours ago, DevilDamo said:

Not necessarily. However, it’s quite rare to have the option of further extending under PD once you have already extended as it would take you beyond the PD limitations. Where properties have specific protection status, i.e. Green Belt, LPA’s do look to withdraw PD rights once formal Planning has been approved.

I’m wondering if we’ll be better changing the planning permission to permitted development.