Smart Plug Recommendations

8 hours ago, Temp said:

Tip: I couldn't get the Gosund app set up the plugs until I turned off my VPN. Once set up they seem to work with the VPN back on.

That's curious. These generic Tuya products can all be used with any of the badged apps so, for instance, you could use the smart life app or any other (Midea if you have any Air-con). You just have to put the device in setup mode again and add it to the app.

4 hours ago, Radian said:

That's curious. These generic Tuya products can all be used with any of the badged apps so, for instance, you could use the smart life app or any other (Midea if you have any Air-con). You just have to put the device in setup mode again and add it to the app.

I tried both the "easy" mode and the "AP" mode on both plugs but couldn't add them untilI I paused NordVPN. Once I did they both added themselves OK.

One other thing I don't understand Is the network connection check feature. It requires both the smart plug and the computer/tablet running the app to be connected to the same WiFi Access Point. Not sure why the Smart plug can't just send the data to the app like it does energy consumption data. Perhaps for security reasons?

26 minutes ago, Temp said:

One other thing I don't understand Is the network connection check feature. It requires both the smart plug and the computer/tablet running the app to be connected to the same WiFi Access Point. Not sure why the Smart plug can't just send the data to the app like it does energy consumption data. Perhaps for security reasons?

I've often wondered about that. I have an isolated AP that I use exclusively for Chinese bulbs etc. but even if I connect my phone to that AP I've yet to see the network check work - reporting that the device is not nearby. The phone can ping the IP address of the device OK so I'm not sure what they're actually doing.