ICF Slow Cooker

MarcelHoldinga

15 minutes ago, MarcelHoldinga said:

The installer said that your bathroom is usually the hottest room in the house, and that there would normally always be an open loop into there...

I know very little about the mess that is plumbing, but is that an old fashion idea where one radiator was always hot, to stop the boiler blowing up or something.

Is there a risk by turning down the flow temperature, that the DHW may not get very hot.  I would expect the controller to sort this out, but if someone that does not understand HPs fitted it, they may assume differently.  

20 minutes ago, AliG said:

There will be a lot of heat coming off the cupboard which in itself will be boosting temperatures in the house.

Yes, we think an airing cupboard is normal, it is really a failed design.

Edited by SteamyTea

53 minutes ago, AliG said:

Weird that it is so neatly fitted yet no insulation. There will be a lot of heat coming off the cupboard which in itself will be boosting temperatures in the house.

Not sure what the reason for having a loop without an actuator is. Is the system calling for heat to this loop even though all the thermostats are off?

There's no insulation on the long DHW runs either, which I found odd... some of it sits directly behind plasterboard, so possibly no space for it, but there's a section in the loft where it could [read: should have been] fitted.

Wouldn't having a bypass on the manifold negate the need for an open loop somewhere in the house?

Afaik, when all the stats are off, the system won't call for heat. I've turned them all down to 17 or 18 degrees and it's been comfortable.

12 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

It would be a very poor design if it can't.

well I have just dug the manual out fir mine and can confirm only one water  temp programable , so I am glad I have a buffer with a stat set to 35 and a blending valve down to 24.

The uninsulated DHW pipework will be acting like mini radiators around the house.

I think under Scottish building regs hot water pipework all has to be insulated, but I may be wrong.

It is all insulated in my place and I can still use an IR camera to see where all the pipework in the ceilings is.

Luckily it will be relatively easy to fit, other than for the stuff behind plasterboard.

I think what we are trying to figure out is does the system pump hot water around the bathroom loop when the other loops are off or is it only when the other loops call for heat that the water is hot? In the pic you posted earlier the bathroom loop had flow, it would seem unlikely that it has flow when the ASHP is not switched on, but maybe it does. The temperature gauge will tell you if the flow is hot and there is probably a light somewhere that shows if heat is called for from the boiler. The other easy tell of course is the bathroom would be way warmer than everywhere else.

22 minutes ago, AliG said:

The uninsulated DHW pipework will be acting like mini radiators around the house.

I think under Scottish building regs hot water pipework all has to be insulated, but I may be wrong.

It is all insulated in my place and I can still use an IR camera to see where all the pipework in the ceilings is.

In my first floor bathrooms I like to think of this non-lagged pipework as UFH. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, daiking said:

It is all insulated in my place and I can still use an IR camera to see where all the pipework in the ceilings is

thats just showing what crap quality and no doubt thin insulation has been used and no joints taped  probably

If done to a quote it will be thin and cheap stuff used and little time spent on fitting it

-more probable that cold sweating condensation will be more of a problem if not lagged in a well insulated house

If its well sealed house not really sure how much real heat loss to outside world there will be 

old drafty house --certainly will be a lot 

7 hours ago, ProDave said:

What are the thermometers on the manifold reading?  i.e what temperature is showing?

I noticed it at 32C at one point the other day (UFH had been off for a while) then made a point of checking when I knew the UFH was running, and it was near the 38C setpoint on the internal ASHP Module.

I've since reduced the LWT temp to 36 - intending to knock it down some more.

On 11/11/2020 at 17:17, MarcelHoldinga said:

Our slab is around 130 sqm (about 120sqm internal), so not too far off yours....
I've had a root through the menus on our ASHP (Daikin Altherma), and it looks like the installer has stopped down the menus so we're not able to select weather compensation  - it's there in the manual, but the footnote indicates that some options may be hidden from view... ?

Frustrating that I don't appear to be allowed to control my own heating system in my own house... coudl it be to do with the fact we're getting RHI? Do they stipulate specific usage conditions on the units being installed?

Page 13 tells you how to access installer settings :  https://www.daikin.co.uk/content/dam/document-library/declaration-of-conformity/heat/air-to-water-heat-pump-low-temperature/ehbh-cb/EHBH-CB_EHBX-CB_4PEN383118-1C_Installation manuals_English.pdf

It will simply have defaulted to end user settings

• Thanks 1