Back butter fight !

Pocster

I’ve watched numerous videos on tiling a floor . Do you / should you back butter ?

Some videos do - some don’t !

Back of most tiles are fairly level and no obvious voids .

Also some just twist the tile down ( can’t see how that works except for the 1st tile ) - some lay square then gentle rubber mallet tap .....

I’m guessing there is no right way ? Just a choice of approaches ??

Edited by pocster

I’ve tilers that work for me and while wall  tiling I would leave it to reference Floors must be back buttered 

There was no need to back butter years back when I first started tiling 

But we would mix the grout very wet and pour it on the floor Which would fill all the voids 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I didn’t back butter the kitchen floor and it sounds hollow, didn’t back butter the conservatory floor or hallway and they are  fine (I do suspect the adhesive was off for the  kitchen tho ?).

A hollow sounding tile isn’t the end of the world 

and will still outlast most floor covering 

It only really commercial premises that this could become a problem 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nod said:

A hollow sounding tile isn’t the end of the world 

and will still outlast most floor covering 

yes but the grout is failing in some places also, just  can’t bring myself to rip it up as the new kitchen is installed on it and all the skirting. It’s on my (if I live long enough) to do list ?.

14 minutes ago, joe90 said:

yes but the grout is failing in some places also, just  can’t bring myself to rip it up as the new kitchen is installed on it and all the skirting. It’s on my (if I live long enough) to do list ?.

Could you not just mix watery grout and tip it Ali g the grout line ? . Once that sets re grout ? . Are you being lazy ??

Spell check really “ all along “ becomes “ Ali g “ !!!

Edited by pocster

Sorry if its obvious but the ridges of adhesive formed by a notched trowel allow you adjust the height and level the tiles. Ideally they should be squashed down until most of the gaps have gone but I like to make use of them to get all the tiles as level as possible with their neighbours. To do that I have a large rubber faced block that my dad called a "Blat" that looks a bit like a float. You used to be able to buy them but I made my last one.

Edited by Temp

I forgot to back butter the tiles when I did the wet room corner. Tbh I needn't have worried as they're solider than a solid thing. No hollows or nothing. Mind the surface was super flat. Think I used a 10mm notch and fully covered the tile backs.

I did back butter the rest of the floor tiles mind. My biggest issue tbh was the fact I used too much adhesive I think. Probably squeezed more out that is left behind the tiles! 

If only I'd have used a levelling system...

Edited by Onoff