Odd rafter setup and bow

Steve_K

Evening all. I'm looking for some advice really. I have a 3 story victorian house built around 1890. One of the top bedrooms had a large bow in the pitched roof when looking at it from the inside. I've stripped the plasterboard back to find a really strange configuration. 3 of the 4 rafters have a cross section about a meter up from the tails. They then pitch up at a different angle to the joists. The 4th is perfectly straight. I'm hoping this is because of the unequal pitch between the 2 roofs but just thought I'd see if it looked right to others. Obviously the rafters have seen better days and will need replacing at some point. The 3rd rafter from the left has spilt (red circle) but I'm hoping i can correct that with angle iron. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

Steve 

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/odd-pitch-in-roof-advice-needed.556948/#ixzz6dOY66YxM

20201109_163603.jpg

20201110_070116.jpg

20201109_163617.jpg

20201109_164731.jpg

• 1 month later...

You might expect something like this to span between a larger member (like you have on the left) and something else, like a wall, to provide some mid-point support to those rafters. But it only spans to a regular rafter on the right.

Does the layout of the house suggest that there might originally have been a wall in that location - under the 3rd rafter? If so, maybe there is something that was once there, which was removed without the support it provided being replaced.

Is there an "intentional" change in pitch of the roof when you look at it from outside?

Is the diagonal thing you can see on the right, the underside of a valley between two roof pitches at right angles to each other?