Heating design, calcs and process - ASHP/UFH

SuperJohnG

@LA3222 I had a chat with Tom at Tanners, so all fine to run through the thickening in parallel as long as you have good spacing. The main point for the note is that they don't want banks of pipes running there such that sufficient concrete couldn't flow round about them and hence then when loaded theoretically there wasn't enough concrete  support (I.e. you'd only be supported on pipes) then there would be a risk of the bank of pipes crushing.  Handy info for anyone in the future hopefully. 

4 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

@LA3222 I had a chat with Tom at Tanners, so all fine to run through the thickening in parallel as long as you have good spacing. The main point for the note is that they don't want banks of pipes running there such that sufficient concrete couldn't flow round about them and hence then when loaded theoretically there wasn't enough concrete  support (I.e. you'd only be supported on pipes) then there would be a risk of the bank of pipes crushing.  Handy info for anyone in the future hopefully. 

Indeed. Funny, for some reason I never queried anything that designers produced, not sure why, I can only put it down to inexperience and juggling the many pieces of a build.

You've managed to get rid of your padstones and get your UFH pipes in the thickening both of which are big pluses for you.

I'm not overly concerned about my pipe placement as I think of it as a homogenous piece. Once up to temp the heat should distribute to some extent towards the outer extremities and those areas won't be walked as such anyway.

Its good that you are sorting all these niggles, I look forward to hearing how you get on with the slab...pics are always good too.

Yes, as you say, this will no doubt be good info for other newbies in the future.

When do you get your kore delivery?

I'm nearly finished insulating internally and installing VCL, battening out. Looking forward to getting on with some actual first fix stuff!!

3 hours ago, LA3222 said:

Its good that you are sorting all these niggles, I look forward to hearing how you get on with the slab...pics are always good too

Most of these questions are only getting asked as I have learned loads from yourself and others before who have done the same and posted here. Hopefully I can feed plenty back also once I have that stage complete.

I am trying to get organised ahead of time, I'll kick off early January and need it all completed by 29th if possible as Scottish Power coming to full power through duct into slab and connect power.  Currently planning 7-10 days off but struggling to get time, I've a very demanding job and actually carrying 23 days into next year just due to being too busy! Its tight, butni have listed all steps and will try head off any issues (learned from here) in advance. Still a relatively high possibility of minor melt down remains...?

When do you get your kore delivery?

Got picked uo today, should arrive at my mates farm (3 miles away) on Monday. Wohoo. 

Once up to temp the heat should distribute to some extent towards the outer extremities and those areas won't be walked as such anyway

I'd think so, likely won't make a bit of difference in reality. With the thickness of the slab it'll distribute just fine.

3 hours ago, Thorfun said:

I hope it was a brief chat as he's supposed to be finalising my structural drawings. ?

He did say that he was super focused finalising a very important clients drawings too...can only presume its yours.  ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LA3222 said:

You get your insulation John?

@LA3222 Yes mate, just done the first blog post! In typical fashion...I asked them to confirm last week about delivery, hadn't heard on Friday - called and they said it left Thursday would arrive Monday/Tuesday but they would call beforehand. 

I got 20 minutes notice, it would be there at 0730 this morning. All fine though, I offloaded the EPS 100 by hand with the driver and then my mate turned up to offload the pallets of the side profiles with his digger and forks for me. All good and now tied down at his place, very glad I now made the decision to do this as obviously everything has turned to mayhem today with the UK being cut off. So it's here and groundworkers lined up for January!