Ply lined walls & fire

Jimbo37

Advice please on BC regulation in relation to timber building. I have a timber structure garage/store, with cladding on outside and ply lining on inside

- Do I need (ie BC requirements) any special precautions for fire risk, eg fire alarm, special paint, etc?

- If I wire this store for power and lights, does the above BC requirements change

TIA, JAmes

17 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So that is over 30 square metres so the whole thing comes under building control approval - so fire, structure, wiring etc. 

@PeterW

They are slab measurements, internal slightly smaller, sub 30sqm - which is correct measurement to determine BC size?

Also, you mention wiring - is that a BC concern? I know the q sounds crazy, but I thought it was not covered

Edited by Jimbo37

Inside is correct - make sure it’s 29.76sqm and more than 1m from every boundary .....

If BC is involved then yes, wiring is notifiable under Part P. You may find the supply to the shed is also notifiable or needs to be done by a part P registered electrician. 

Thanks all for those posts. Been Googling and reading about this forum all evening, and it seems that the ply has to be treated with fire retardant varnish/paint. What I cannot determine - does this requirement apply to garage/shed or just dwellings. Anyone familiar?

14 minutes ago, Jimbo37 said:

What I cannot determine - does this requirement apply to garage/shed or just dwellings. Anyone familiar?

Over 30sqm it is any structure.

Under 30sqm and more than 1 m from every boundary, or under 15sqm then you can build it with cardboard and soak it in diesel for all building control care ... 

• Haha 2

On 16/11/2020 at 21:09, juncopartner said:

If the building is not exempt the same regs apply.

So that I can give a detailed reply, how close to the boundary(s) are you, what height and width are the walls?

Hi @juncopartner1 meter from boundary, adjacent wall is 2.4m high, 6.5m long