EICR - Do I need a new fuse box?

Hi everyone

I've been told that I need a EICR before I can have tenants move in.  I've spoken to an electrician today who says that the fuse box (image attached) needs replacing.  I just want to find out whether my fuse box will fail the EICR if it's not changed before I fork out £600 for a new fuse box and a report.  I did ask the electrician last week but he hasn't replied.

Thank you for your help.

48c153a9-5d87-4c05-ae77-adad66a023dc.thumb.jpg.337cf4a5e3af8242470fb6167b6b1e8f.jpg

Yes possibly but not necessarilly.

The issue is you have no RCD protections. And most of your circuits are protected by cartridge fuses, not mcb's.

On the face of it, the stock answer is a new consumer unit, BUT it might be possible to fit rcbo's in that.  At about £10 each,  it's less than £100 to replace them all with rcbo's and a lot less labour.

What you need to check, is the general condition of the fuse box, and is there room to fit rcbo's.  Also (hard to tell) is that a metal or plastic fuse box?

You will likely find other work needed like earth bonding not up to standard etc.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Yes possibly but not necessarilly.

The issue is you have no RCD protections. And most of your circuits are protected by cartridge fuses, not mcb's.

On the face of it, the stock answer is a new consumer unit, BUT it might be possible to fit rcbo's in that.  At about £10 each,  it's less than £100 to replace them all with rcbo's and a lot less labour.

What you need to check, is the general condition of the fuse box, and is there room to fit rcbo's.  Also (hard to tell) is that a metal or plastic fuse box?

You will likely find other work needed like earth bonding not up to standard etc.

Thank you so much @ProDave!   I've googled RCBOs and it appears that the water heater is already an RCBO (rest are fuses) so it appears they can all be replaced.

It is a plastic fuse box.  Does that affect it at all?

Thanks again.

No, this is an rcbo

39356_P&$prodImageMedium$

Note the little "test" button, and internally it is physically bigger. Hence asking how much room there is in that fuse box.

Wylex do make a "compact" rcbo but say it is not to be fitted into old fuse boxes (though nobody can present a reason why not)

If it is a plastic box I would say get it changed.  In theory you should be able to continue using a plastic box but so many electriacns now see as a failure you will be fighting an uphill battle to keep getting it passes, so probably best not to throw good money after bad in this case.

Given the likely age of the installation that has that consumer unit I would be inclined to get the EICR done.

this should help advise the condition of the existing wiring to see if it’s suitable for RCD protection and it doesn’t have any latent defects.

rcbo/rcds are more sensitive than fuses and it’s not uncommon for a board change to then have a circuit not energise without some further investigation.