Replacing a door on a single garage

newhome

My friends have recently moved house and are doing some renovations. They want to replace their single garage door and want a side hinged one. They’ve been quoted over 3k to supply and fit an insulated Teckentrup door. They were expecting a quote of nearer 2k. Does over 3k sound a lot (including VAT)? It’s guaranteed for 2 years. They are in Kent. 

We've just fitted a side-hinged Carteck (Teckentrup) door for the rear (garden) end of our garage. Paid £1300 (installed by our builders so installation not included in this price). I must say I absolutely cannot understand what all the fuss is about. The door is very basic, I can't say it's particularly reinforsed or of some uber-smart design. Just.A.White.Metal.Door.  Honestly, I would probably price it at £300 tops, not £1300 (but us being self-builders and buying all things new we probably just got carried away. Oh well).

Our front sectional garage door is by Hormann and only £200 more expensive - but it's automatic, all singing and dancing so the price is somewhat understandable. But the rear door is disappointing.

Oh, and the sticker on it says it should be cleaned thoroughly every two months!! And tiniest specks of dirt should be wiped off immediately with clean cloth as soft as baby's bottom, lest the guarantee would be voided. I mean, seriously? wiping a garage door every month with triple-ply soft tissue? For that price?.. 

Rear garage door 1.jpg

• Thanks 1

I fitted an electric roller door to my garage.  WAY cheaper than the prices this thread is talking about, very simple DIY install, and the usable door opening is the full available opening, the track and motor etc all fit inside, without reducing the available size in any dimension.

Why do they particularly want a side hinged door(s) ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Why do they particularly want a side hinged door(s) ?

I asked that and it’s because they don’t use the garage for cars but just to access freezer, gardening equipment etc.