Mitre metal trim

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Tried a few hacksaws etc on a mitre block . Cuts never really good enough . Is there a specific saw that does a perfect job on this ? ( ignoring my ability of course ) 

Cutting aluminium is not that different to cutting timber.

Use a fine toothed carbide tipped blade and feed the cut in gently. I often cut large sheets of aluminium using a cheap circular saw and always cut Alu profiles using an ordinary wood blade in my mitre saw.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markc said:

Cutting aluminium is not that different to cutting timber.

Use a fine toothed carbide tipped blade and feed the cut in gently. I often cut large sheets of aluminium using a cheap circular saw and always cut Alu profiles using an ordinary wood blade in my mitre saw.

Ok. - thought I tried that ; new saw aswell - I assume I want a saw with a really fine tooth blade ?

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Ok. - thought I tried that ; new saw aswell - I assume I want a saw with a really fine tooth blade ?

my mitre saw is a 10inch blade and i think its a 60 tooth blade i have in it.

Is the trim very thin material? if so then a multi tool will work well, just use a block to rest the blade on to keep it square - you can hold the blade against the block with your fingers .... weird sensation but works well .... please dont shoot me for vibration white finger infringements

2 minutes ago, markc said:

my mitre saw is a 10inch blade and i think its a 60 tooth blade i have in it.

Is the trim very thin material? if so then a multi tool will work well, just use a block to rest the blade on to keep it square - you can hold the blade against the block with your fingers .... weird sensation but works well .... please dont shoot me for vibration white finger infringements

Yes . Only about 2mm thick . I need to do 45 degree mitres so holding the metal in a mitre block and a dremel not really do able . I googled hss blade for a hacksaw - that worth a go ?

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Got one . It’s the sawing action to get a perfect clean cut that’s the issue 

Get a 32 tpi hacksaw blade and you will be fine ... no pun intended. 

Edited by markc
  • Thanks 1