External oak, to treat or not to treat, that is the question?

joe90

My lovely oak conservatory has had three coats of expensive protector Applied but is failing on some external parts . It must be the weather as inside is fine and that gets lots of UV. Some people say Oak is ok not protected and some listed old properties have untreated oak windows etc hundreds of years old. I don’t mind it being “silver” in colour (and I hate painting and it’s expensive!!!!). What would you do?

Edited by joe90

We haven't treated our cedar cladding on the house and the north facing wall has gone a nice even silver grey. The other walls are more patchy as it is the rain that washes the colour out rather than UV bleaching it. A friend clad his barn in oak and left it untreated and that went grey. It takes time for it all to even out.

• Like 1

We have a lot of oak outside on our house with different finishes...

Our paddock gate was untreated and took many years to go silver, along the way it went black and grew green "stuff" on the top rail. You might have to wait 6 years or more before its all silver.

Our front door is treated with Sadolin. Coat of Sadolin classic light oak and several light coats of Sadolin Extra Satin Clear on top. Seems to last very well but it doesnt have any horizontal surfaces and those weather faster.

We also have a lot of oak beams and posts (holding up porches and framing windows) i really want to keep these a nice honey colour. These were originally treated with Danish oil but that's a right pain. It needs recoating every year otherwise it starts going black as if untreated but slower. I ended up sanding it all off back to new wood. Gave it one coat of Dainish to colour it then three of OSMO UV Protection Oil. This is expensive but seems to last much longer than Danish oil. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 09/11/2020 at 22:04, tonyshouse said:

No paint , oil or preservative is fine on oak 

paint is dangerous, oak significantly acidic and oily and throws off paint 

I have decided to let my conservatory go “uh natural” whatever I put on it disappears quite quickly.

• Like 1